Confirmed: Cutting SIM to nano-SIM is easy and works!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mojo8472, Sep 21, 2012.

1. mojo8472 macrumors member

Just tried it out with a giffgaff mini-SIM. Just trimmed off the plastic surround around the chip (and a bit away from the metal on the shortest sides). No thickness reduction required

Works perfectly in the iPhone 5

2. joolze macrumors member

joolze

You have made my day. I hoped this would be the case but had my PAC code from them just in case.

Just need the iPhone 5 to be delivered now:)

3. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

4. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Now we only need a nano sim cutter :))))
    Back in 2010 with the iPhone4 I had problems getting micro sims for some of my sim cards, since the providers would only give out micro sims if you had a data plan or a post-pay contract phone. So the microsim cutter was a must.

I suspect the same will happen with the nano sims..

5. domodazzzle macrumors member

thanks for this! I have a nano sim on its way but it might not arrive until atleast Monday or Tuesday so unless it arrives today I'll be trying this out with my micro sim!

6. blueillusion macrumors member

Just wanted to confirm that cutting down the sim card works perfectly.
    I cut down a micro sim without having to shave the thickness down.

7. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Great news! Anyone on LTE doing this? I read that you won't get full LTE speeds with a micro-sim, you need an actual nano-sim...any idea if that's true? I don't see why it would make a difference.

Regardless, will be giving this a try!

8. kamran9558 macrumors regular

I can confirm this too, I have just cut down my giffgaff microsim to a nano and didnt have to use a sand paper.

9. roflc0pter macrumors regular

Great news for many Prepaid users!

Does the SIM tray slide in smooth if you don't shave the thickness down?

10. james92se macrumors 6502a

I remember AT&T saying the same thing with the iPhone 4 on the switch from the full sized SIM to the nano SIM and again with the 4S with the switch to HSPA+, and I personally did speed tests both ways and saw no difference in speed.

11. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Cut two giffgaff sims down a few days ago, they are working perfectly in the i5's :)

No sanding needed.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is there a sim cutter dealio on eBay? Those were around for the micro-sim I think.

13. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

There will be, for sure!

14. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

Use some scissors and the online template, a 5 minute job :)

15. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Just a word of warning - I cut down 2 giffgaff SIMs and had a 50% success rate. The test one I'd done worked but my live SIM didn't!

Already had the PAC code and 3 SIM so have transferred and happier with 3s reception

16. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Cool, thanks for the reply.

17. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Has anyone tried cutting down a sim yet where it involves cutting into the metal chip part?
    My iPhone 4 sim is already a full sim to micro sim cutting job, and the chip area is larger than the size of a nano sim, if that makes sense. If I cut it down again to nano size, I will have to cut into the chip. I'm sure there are others in a similar position.

And no, I can't just swap to a new nano sim because my carrier isn't an official iPhone carrier (but I get unlimited data for 25c/day, so don't want to switch carriers without a fight).

18. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

Depends on what Micro SIM you have. If it's the one that came with the iPhone 4, then it won't work with LTE. I tried it with an LTE Android phone, and it would not connect to LTE, only 3G. After a few minutes, I got an SMS from AT&T that I need to switch to an LTE plan. Called AT&T and they tried to switch it, but it would not let them do it with the current SIM, they told me to go to an AT&T store and swap for a new SIM for free.

I assume if you have an LTE Micro SIM, then you should just be able to cut it down and get LTE.

19. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

I see, well that makes sense. my carrier hasn't turned their LTE network on yet, so no big deal. I expect they won't have nano-sims for another week at least, they launching the iPhone 5 on the 28th.

My sim card is a also full size I cut down to micro size already. will be interesting to see if I can do it again. ;)

20. Star896 macrumors newbie

That's great, just order one from yoyobase.com for $23, hope to receive it soon.

21. blueillusion macrumors member

if you take a look at this page: http://asia.cnet.com/hacked-iphone-5-nano-sim-thickness-doesnt-matter-62218820.htm

It seems that you can cut the original large sims to nano sims too. You need to cut through the metal, but apparently that's no problem.

Just cut my second nano sim from micro sim today. Success again! Moved the original cut nano sim to my ipad (with adapter).

22. OddyOh macrumors regular

OddyOh

Success!

Cut it down this morning, works just fine! :D Had to file down the front edge a bit so it would slide in properly, but I'm on 3G good as new.

Thanks all. :) Once LTE is up and running, I'll visit a dealer for a proper nano-sim if I need it.