Confirmed - Different color temps on New iPads

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bubbaguuump, Mar 16, 2012.

1. bubbaguuump, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

bubbaguuump macrumors newbie

So I got three iPad 3's (can't get used to the name The New iPad) today. 1 in black and 2 in white and glad I did so I can compare them. Sure enough one of the white ones has a warm yellowish tint and the other two have the crisp blue tint. I was really against the yellow tint on my 4s that's why I returned it cause was so used to the blue temp on my 4. After looking at all the screens side by side I can see how some people would like the warmer yellow cause it would be good for photographs and skin tones. To me it looks a little muted and the blue is more crisp/alive and whites look whiter and well blue and eye catching. So if your's is warm/yellow then there are ones out there and you might get lucky if you're unhappy and exchange it. Might post pics later but too busy messing around with them now :)

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Strange my white 4s clearly has a blue tint. I use f.lux in Cydia to warm it up. I feel like my iPad 3rd gen looks much warmer than my 4s side by side

4. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Figured as much. My iPad "3" is a lot more yellow than my iPad 2,which has the bluish tinted screen. I may make a trip to the Apple store to setup an exchange. I like the blueish tint a lot more.

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I should mail candy to all of you.

Why is this news?

Oh yeah, it really isn't.

No two LCDs will ever be exactly the same. Think of it like a set of fingerprints. Each is unique to the person whom they are attached.

6. bubbaguuump thread starter macrumors newbie

Relax man. Who pissed in your cheerios? Did someone not get an iPad today?

7. homeboy macrumors 6502

Mine is warmer than my iPad 2. Will keep it for a few days then compare with other units in stores to find out whether I am imagining things or not m

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Oh no help me help me the new iPad screens are not all exactly alike panic fret dismay how can I go forward.

yawn

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

This is all fine and well, but the variability is pretty big. When you can tell it's yellow or blue on grays, it's pretty far from a neutral white. The solution to this problem seems simple: include a software color calibration tool. Computer displays have had these forever. Is there a technical limitation I'm not aware of?

10. bubbaguuump thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok here's some comparison pics. I don't have the best lighting in my place and not that great of a photographer but you can see that the black one has a more blue cooler temp and the white is more warm and yellow. For me the blue is better cause whites looks crisper and whiter. On the white one the warm tint looks too yellow and washed out for my tastes. But it's all up to personal preference. Oh on the one with the 3 iPads, the one on the right of the black actually is just as blue or even more then the black but didn't turn up in the pics and looks a little more warm. Hope this helps!

11. bubbaguuump thread starter macrumors newbie

1st time trying to upload pics and for some reason they didn't attach? Let me try again :)

Attached Files:

12. ksz macrumors 68000

Mine has the cool (i.e. blue) color temperature. It's a white 64GB Wi-Fi-only model.

P.S. Coming from the 1st gen iPad, this is a very satisfying upgrade.

13. FiglioPerduto macrumors newbie

Are those all at the same brightness?

14. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

LOL...look at the last pic one more time.

15. Al1n macrumors member

Al1n

Mine is warmer than my old iPad 2. I like it!:D

16. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

Thats because thats not the name. :roll eyes:

its simply "iPad" (current generation)

17. bubbaguuump, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

bubbaguuump thread starter macrumors newbie

So this is something unexpected! After playing with the white one with the warm temp and the black one with the cool blue I've started to "warm" up to the warmer temp one!! Opened iPhoto side by side and even just the title screen and thumbnail pics look, yes you guessed it, warmer, more inviting and more natural. Gonna have to play with em more and decide. Thought I was more partial to the blue temp but not sure now.

18. Swampthing macrumors 6502

Swampthing

I'm beginning to think these are the old "iTouch" folks.... they found a new name to get completely wrong.

19. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Mine has a blue tent. Now, the screen on my iPad 2 looks yellowish in comparison.

20. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have my new iPad right beside my iPad 2 and the new one is definitely 'warmer'. All colors are just a bit different too. For instance my home screen is a beach scene. Lots of blue water and blue sky. On the iPad 2 the sky is more turquoise and on the new iPad it's a deeper blue.

To be honest I really prefer the colors on the iPad 2 but unless I put them side by side I probably wouldn't have noticed.

My only issues are that the new iPad is darker. I had to turn up the brightness by 10% or so. And I have a slight discoloration on the bottom 1/3 of my screen. Like a light dusting of yellow dust. It may be the dreaded 'adhesive' issue so I'm just going to keep an eye on it. Either it gets better, I stop noticing it, or I go trade it in. I suspect it will be the first or second.

The good news is I have absolutely no bleeding at all.

21. Justin Luck macrumors regular

After about 20 minutes of use, I noticed exactly what you describe. It is a yellow tinge that is at the bottom of the screen in portrait mode. It travels about 2 - 3 cm upwards. At first, I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I can still see it along that edge when I rotate the tablet around.

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

The reason I think mine might be adhesive is that the 'dusting' in just a bit darker on the left side. It goes most of the way across but definitely darker on the left. Since that's the only issue I have found I'm giving it a week or two to clear up. I really, really hope it will.

23. Justin Luck macrumors regular

Yeah, mine is more prominent on the lower left as well. You can sort of see it in this pic:
    [​IMG]

24. FiglioPerduto macrumors newbie

Sorry.

25. pdawg macrumors regular

You guys are making me paranoid now. I can't tell if I have a yellow iPad or a blue iPad or if it even matters.