Confirmed, FaceTime does work with iPad SIM in JB iPhone 4

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
I am using a JB iPhone with an iPad SIM (data only). I also have My3G enabled. Tested it this morning on the streets of San Francisco that you CAN do FaceTime with an iPad SIM. Yay!!!:D

TigerOnSurf

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
I am using a JB iPhone with an iPad SIM (data only). I also have My3G enabled. Tested it this morning on the streets of San Francisco that you CAN do FaceTime with an iPad SIM. Yay!!!:D
Bro you don't know how jealous I am of you... hehehe..

I also own an iPhone 4 and a previous 3GS but couldn't get my iPad data plan to work on my iPhone 4.. It work on the 3GS though.. unlockit.co.nz with apn "Broadband" works on the iphone 3GS but what is going on with the iPhone 4??? :mad:

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
All you have to do on the ip4 is change the APN to Broadband (nothing else) to use iPad sim.

Call the iPad phone number to do FaceTime. You can locate number in the phone app under contacts (not the address book app)

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
How do you get the facetime button to show under contacts or phone app? Do you have to activate the phone with a voice sim and then switch to the data only sim? When I tried facetiming my number nothing happened on the phone.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
How do you get the facetime button to show under contacts or phone app? Do you have to activate the phone with a voice sim and then switch to the data only sim? When I tried facetiming my number nothing happened on the phone.
No you just turn on face time in the phone setting in settings. Then you give the number that is listed there to people and they can face time you, and you can face time them from the contacts app.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
My "phone" settings are gone. When I restored this phone I had no sim, and had to jailbreak to get it to activate. I haven't had "phone" settings since. Is there a hack to get them back? Or will I have to find a voice sim and do another restore? In other words, if I restore with the data only sim will my "phone" settings re-appear?

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
A restore with the data sim worked!! Phone settings are restored, and facetime is working.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
this is pretty sweet.

that being said, how does this help me I wonder?

I have an iPad 3G and an iPhone 4 both with unlimited data already...

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
In your case it....it doesn't. I have an iphone 4 that I am running with my ipad sim with no voice account at all. I use VOIP for phone service. Facetime was the last remaining feature that I could not get to function correctly. Now my iphone can do everything a normal iphone can, and all for $30 a month.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
In your case it....it doesn't. I have an iphone 4 that I am running with my ipad sim with no voice account at all. I use VOIP for phone service. Facetime was the last remaining feature that I could not get to function correctly. Now my iphone can do everything a normal iphone can, and all for $30 a month.
I guess I didn't think about that kind of potential. That's pretty awesome.

What's your preference for voip under this solution? Do you run into problems often where you have cell signal but no data connection?

urbanmacUser

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
So you take iPad sim and put in you iphone so you get a 3G connection then use a VOIP service such as truphone? Can you VOIP over 3G or does it have to be WiFi?

Sounds like a good plan as I want an iPhone for mainly data access and the odd call.

On the 02 website it does say these sims wil not work in an iPhone, but as its free I've ordered one to try out:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/ipadtariffs/index.html