Confirmed, FaceTime does work with iPad SIM in JB iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 5, 2010.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am using a JB iPhone with an iPad SIM (data only). I also have My3G enabled. Tested it this morning on the streets of San Francisco that you CAN do FaceTime with an iPad SIM. Yay!!!:D

2. TigerOnSurf macrumors newbie

Bro you don't know how jealous I am of you... hehehe..

I also own an iPhone 4 and a previous 3GS but couldn't get my iPad data plan to work on my iPhone 4.. It work on the 3GS though.. unlockit.co.nz with apn "Broadband" works on the iphone 3GS but what is going on with the iPhone 4??? :mad:

3. p-rice macrumors regular

Fill me in here. How does it work if you don't have a number?

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm 99% sure that the iPad does have a number since it's a cellular connection. I used to have a Sprint broadband card that was assigned a phone number as well.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Data only SIMs get a Phone number just like regular ones. You can SMS to an iPad and read it with a terminal SMS client (Demo HERE

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

All you have to do on the ip4 is change the APN to Broadband (nothing else) to use iPad sim.

Call the iPad phone number to do FaceTime. You can locate number in the phone app under contacts (not the address book app)

7. bwrairen macrumors 6502

How do you get the facetime button to show under contacts or phone app? Do you have to activate the phone with a voice sim and then switch to the data only sim? When I tried facetiming my number nothing happened on the phone.

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

No you just turn on face time in the phone setting in settings. Then you give the number that is listed there to people and they can face time you, and you can face time them from the contacts app.

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

My "phone" settings are gone. When I restored this phone I had no sim, and had to jailbreak to get it to activate. I haven't had "phone" settings since. Is there a hack to get them back? Or will I have to find a voice sim and do another restore? In other words, if I restore with the data only sim will my "phone" settings re-appear?

10. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

So its a Data only SIM that has number.

Can people ring you?
    Can you ring out?

11. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Yes...all sims have a number, even if it is a ipad data only, but you can't call or receive calls.

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502

A restore with the data sim worked!! Phone settings are restored, and facetime is working.

13. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

this is pretty sweet.

that being said, how does this help me I wonder?

I have an iPad 3G and an iPhone 4 both with unlimited data already...

14. bwrairen macrumors 6502

In your case it....it doesn't. I have an iphone 4 that I am running with my ipad sim with no voice account at all. I use VOIP for phone service. Facetime was the last remaining feature that I could not get to function correctly. Now my iphone can do everything a normal iphone can, and all for $30 a month.

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I guess I didn't think about that kind of potential. That's pretty awesome.

What's your preference for voip under this solution? Do you run into problems often where you have cell signal but no data connection?

16. urbanmacUser macrumors regular

urbanmacUser

So you take iPad sim and put in you iphone so you get a 3G connection then use a VOIP service such as truphone? Can you VOIP over 3G or does it have to be WiFi?

Sounds like a good plan as I want an iPhone for mainly data access and the odd call.

On the 02 website it does say these sims wil not work in an iPhone, but as its free I've ordered one to try out:

http://shop.o2.co.uk/ipadtariffs/index.html