Confirmed Price Drop?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsquared, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I've read a couple of posts in this forum that mention a price cut on the iPhone 3G. Tell me it isn't true. Not that I wouldn't put it past Apple, though. Because the only thing they do better than making a great product, is making a great product for an initial cost and once the hype starts to die down they drop the price.

Any truth to the rumors?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

WHAT rumors? No one has heard of this; it's not happening.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Me either. Personally I don't think it will happen. There was too much of an uproar the last time Apple did this that I don't think they will risk it.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They may but not this soon. It'll be at least a year along with a capacity increase or new model.

6. rsk137 macrumors member

The iPhone is already subsidized like crazy as it is and there isn't going to be a price drop. If anything the 32G model will knock out the 8G, take the 16G's price point at $299, and bump the 16G down to $199...if that even happens.

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yup. This.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

AT&T -- not Apple -- has the final say on the price that the public pays for an iPhone (in the US, anyways... same principal applies to carriers in other countries, though...)

Apple sells to AT&T, who in turn resells to the public.

If Apple cut the price that they sell to the carriers with, it'd be up to AT&T to pass that savings along to the public.

"AT&T" and "price cut" are two things that are rarely seen in the same sentence. :eek:

9. pcg macrumors newbie

Yes, & yet Apple also sells directly to customers. So any price cut would be driven by a mutual--not unilateral--decision by Apple & AT&T.

Don't believe it's about to happen.

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Apple sells directly to customers in the sense that you can buy one at an Apple store... You are still paying AT&T's set prices, not Apple's. As aristobrat said, Apple sells the phones to AT&T, and AT&T then chooses the subsidized price, which Apple follows at its stores.