Confirmed VZW iPhonr 4S comes unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MachAF, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MachAF, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

MachAF macrumors newbie

No need to even unlock the new 4S. Popped in my foreign sim, let itunes activate. Awesome news for global travelers.

Unfortunately, you have to plug the phone into iTunes and it activate each time you put a different sim in.

AT&T SIM's won't activate. " only compatible SIM cards from a support carrier may be used to activate iPhone."

2. stoppard macrumors member

3. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

4. French macrumors regular

wait, so if I'm in a foreign country and want to buy a SIM when I get there I have to have my laptop with me so I can connect my iPhone to iTunes to activate the card?

5. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

that is a valid question

we have to activate every time we change SIM? and you need to computer (aka iTunes)? hmm...

so much for the PC FREE world!

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Come on, I think the fact that you don't even have to call Verizon to unlock it to use a SIM is huge. Especially compared to AT&T who won't even unlock the phone for you.

7. TheGreenLantern macrumors newbie

Wow!! really? I would of thought it was going to be locked, this is great to now!! thanks!!

8. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

9. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

wait until people jump ship from ATT then they provide the unlock too...

plain simple, ATT is wrong - they lock even after two years of contract.

10. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Wonder what it will take to make the AT&T SIM work...

11. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

My theory is that is unlocked until you insert a SIM, then it's locked for that carrier.. Try another GSM SIM...

12. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Your post is a bit unclear what is a "foreign sim"

Did you take your Verizon Iphone, and specifically what carrier SIM did you insert into the phone>

13. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

might be a dumb question as i my iPhone 4s is still restoring from my iCloud backup, but how exactly does iTunes activate it? Do you just put the sim in and it works or you have to hook it up to the computer?

14. Centient macrumors 6502

Didn't Sprint address something like this yesterday? Swore I read how they would essentially be receiving the phones unlocked, but then locking via an update. Could be VZ is planning on doing the same?

Anyone read this as well?

15. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

No one believes the cell reps, as most of them have no idea what they are talking about.

16. Centient macrumors 6502

Yeah it wasn't some lowly call center rep though. It was an official Sprint spokesperson.

Actually here's an article addressing it:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/sprint-unlocks-iphone-4s-sim-card-confusion/27899

What's interesting is that VZ has stood by the 'it's coming out locked' mantra and even had steps in place to unlock it. However if Sprint is claiming their units are coming in unlocked (to be locked via FW shortly thereafter) it makes sense that the same would be true for VZ. Why would VZ be handled differently than Sprint? That's just my opinion of course.

17. Solange82200 macrumors regular

What about ATT 4s's? Does anyone else know if you can put in a sim from another country?

They made a big deal about the 4s being a "world" phone now. What does that mean exactly? Right now I can go to Italy and use my 3gs on att and pay extra for roaming and all that. So what is the difference with the 4s?

18. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I don't believe any of this.. i want real people reporting with facts :)

19. MachAF thread starter macrumors newbie

All I know is AT&T SIM from my old iPhone didn't work, it won't activate. My SIM from Thailand activated fine. Will T-Mobile work? I doubt it.

In the past with Verizon when you unlock the SIM slot it still will not work with AT&T or T-Mobile. I believe they block certain Mobile Country Codes and Mobile Network Codes.

20. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

It's funny the Thailand sim worked, because it's roaming on AT&T or T-mobile since you're in the USA

21. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

its not unlocked, my rodgers sim doesn't work. Verizon will have to unlock it.

22. b24pgg macrumors 65816

There's got to be a way around this. Seems like a hassle for travelers who don't take their computers with them.