Confirming activating AT&T on Qualcomm iphone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by weezerr, Nov 2, 2017.

1. weezerr macrumors regular

Im sorry for the redundancy of this post, I would just like some reassurance that my understanding of all of this is correct.

My first assumptions/understanding:

1. The Verizon/Qualcomm iphone X is universal, and the best buy version will come unlocked with no sim if you paid cash.
    2. If you put a Verizon Sim in the phone first, it will stay forever unlocked
    3. If you put at At&T sim first, it will lock to AT&T.

I have access to a Verizon sim, although my personal plan is through AT&T.

Theoretically I would like to have a forever unlocked phone, but want to confirm the process.

1. Put in Verizon sim, turn on phone. What happens then in terms of activation? Will this do anything to the friends phone/account of the sim I borrowed?

2. Once turned on with verizon, turn off and put AT&T sim from my current iphone 6 in. Setup as normal?

Is there any chance that putting the Verizon sim of my friends phone in first would screw something up?

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

It does not really matter. You can just use your AT&T SIM. Since you are paying full price, AT&T will unlock it very quickly once you fill out the Unlock request. Since you are using AT&T you don't need the unlock at point of sale.

The person with the Verizon donor SIM, will have no impact if they are giving you a deactivated or currently active SIM for the initial Carrier activation. If they give you a new Verizon SIM that is tied to their line, their current SIM in their phone will be deactivated. Not an issue if they are with you.

Dave

3. weezerr thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. So if in the future I want to sell/switch carriers, AT&T will easily unlock the phone for me and I should not sweat this step right now?

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Yes, AT&T will unlock it since you are fully paid. No problem.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Correct and once AT&T unlocks it, you will have the equivalent of a SIM-Free iPhone X.

You can use this link to request the unlock at any time since you are paying cash.

Link: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1

Dave

6. mjr1000 macrumors regular

dave006, what if I have the same scenario BUT the phone is not paid in full. In other words, I purchased the phone from Best Buy (so it is the Qualcomm model) but on the AT&T Next installment plan. Can I still activate it using a Verizon SIM for the first time and then pop in my AT&T SIM to use as planned under the AT&T Next plan?

Follow-up question, is it ok to use an active Verizon SIM card (from my work phone)? Will the phone be registered to the owner of that number? Will AT&T still "activate" the phone for use on my AT&T plan? Thanks!