Confirming new edges on 2011 MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shstiger2009, Feb 25, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I know there was a thread about this but I just wanted to let everyone that didn't see it know that the edges on the 2011 MBP are not as sharp as the 2009 MBP. It's very noticeable and feels way better on my wrist/arm area. I can actually just look at the two and tell the difference, and it also seems that with this type of design that there won't be as much of the aluminum rubbing off of the edges over time as well.

After a while of typing, browsing, school work, etc. on the 2009 I began to get irritated and I've already been doing so for about 3 hours on my new one and I'm not getting that same feeling. Really didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it has, at least for me. ;)

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think for some reason those were extra sharp. The edges on my 2008 Aluminum MacBook are less sharp than those on my parents' 2009 13" pro, and they were only purchased about 5 months apart.

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I really didn't notice it until I've been using this one for a few hours. It really is much different and now that I'm looking at the two, the 2009 looks like it has razor edges. :eek:

4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Although I would love it if they made the edges less sharp, I don't think it can be confirmed by just comparing a few machines.

I got a 2010 MBP in December and the edges were super sharp; I took it back and exchanged it for another one (same model) and the edges are much less sharp, and the aluminum is less "grainy" on the palm rest - the palm rest is much smoother. Again, same year, same model (2010 13" MBP).

At the time I took the first one back, I went around the Apple store checking them out; there were some really sharp ones and some less sharp ones.

I wish they would change the whole top case design so that they were all consistently rounded. And if they have changed the 2011 edges, great. But from what I've seen it's just a variation between individual MBP's, perhaps coming from different manufacturing plants or etc.

5. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that makes sense. Well FWIW, I'm glad my edges are much, much less sharp than my 2009 MBP. :rolleyes:

6. darwin022 macrumors regular

I agree with the OP. I didn't realize it at first, but after seeing this post.... The edges are less emo-wrist-slitting than the 2009's are. It's a visible difference even. not much, but a slight difference.