Conflicker on a Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roobass, Oct 13, 2009.

1. roobass macrumors newbie

I've got a problem in that I have been blocked from my university network because they have said my computer was infected by the conflicker virus. However, of course I have a mac, so this shouldn't be a problem.

My question is, how could my mac throw up a false positive concerning the conflicker virus?

I'm running Snow Leopard on a uni-body Macbook Pro. I have windows 7 installed in BootCamp and use VMware Fusion, however, I hadn't booted into Windows or used Fusion in the past 2 weeks (my comp was blocked on Monday).

I am currently running an anti-virus scan, however it seems to have crashed. Any thoughts?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Though Mac cannot be infected by Windows viruses, they can store infected files. Those files are simply benign on Mac, but if they get transferred to Windows, then well that machine just became infected. Essentially, the Mac can be a carrier without being infected. I'm not certain this is the case for you, but is a possibility. Try downloading ClamXAV and do a full system scan with it. It can detect Windows virus. It would probably be a good idea to run a virus scan on your Windows parts too. ClamWin is free for Windows, and Windows has released a free virus scanner called Microsoft Security Essentials. I've heard it works OK. Other free anti-virus software for Windows.