Conflict with different users' files on external drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ahe, Dec 17, 2008.

1. ahe macrumors member

ahe

Greetings,

I've been trying to find a solution to this for quite some time now, but wasn't succesful.

At my studio, I have an iMac that is both a workstation and a file server for the other Macs in the office. That iMac has an external FW800 drive where we keep a backup of all our work, as well as a working drive whenever someone uses the computer.

Now, there are 2 user accounts in the iMac, both of them with administrator's privileges. Problem is, there is a folder both users are working with (it contains a good amount of images and InDesign files), but if User2 tries to do some work on the files in that folder, he can't, because the permissions are set to belong to User1. Setting that folder (or even the entire drive) to have full permissions for the Administrators user group is only a temporary solution. Everytime a user tries to work on the files, the permissions are changed so the other user has to change them again (with the ensuing frustration, wate of time, etc...).

Other Macs in the office connect to the external drive via a direct Connect to server command thru the Finder (cmd + K), then:

afp://User1:password1@Naranja.local/

... then choosing the external drive. That has proven very useful, although we're all using the same user when connecting. The problem has come when 2 users try to work on the same files in the same folder, in the same drive, in the same computer.

Is there a way to have both users work with the same files in a reasonably efficient fashion? i.e.: not having to change permissions constantly. :confused:

Thanks in advance,

Ángel.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

investigate the use of umask to defeat this issue, or possibly make sure "ignore permissions" is set on the external drive.