Conflicted about the 11-inch Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TripleMoxy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. TripleMoxy macrumors regular

I already have the 2013 13" rMBP, but I've recently bought the 11 inch Air (256gb model).

I love the size of the 11" MBA and the screen of the 13" rMBP; the MBA screen isn't awful, but it is significantly worse than the retina screen. However, I'm looking for reasons to keep both but can't think of any justification to do so. They are both extremely portable but the MBA is a joy to carry and use.

I carry a laptop with me most of the time at work and at the weekend if I go to do some work at the library.

Roll on 2015 and the 12-inch rMBA...

I have 1 week to take back the MBA, so I'm agonising over what to do.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If you think that the 11" MBA's screen is "significantly worse" then you should return it. It seems like pixel density is a high priority for you, at least high enough to be influential in whether or not you keep it. Why keep something of marginal value (given your requirements) if you're not delighted with it?

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As small as the footprint of the 13 rMBP is, I would say you really have no need for both.

4. TripleMoxy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your replies.

I admit that my indecision probably has nothing to do with logic. I accept that it's pointless to have both, so I guess that I'll take the air back and see if the 12" rMBA comes out next year.

I'd love to have a retina Mac at that size, but I'm not alone in that.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you carry a laptop all day and dont work in the visual arts I would definitly keep the air.

6. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

Not sure why you'd ever need to run both of those machines, they're superfluous to one another, brass tax.

I value display quality over a pound of weight, so for me the retina is logically the best choice... My wife likes thin n light, doesn't see a difference in screens- and thus has the Air.

7. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

If I had just one laptop to carry around I would go for a 13" I think. Not sure if Air or Retina though. I admittedly have only seen the retina in store and never worked on it for a longer time but I don't see the big fuzz compared to a 'normal' display.

For me (personally) the 11" is great as I will take it with me in addition to my work PC so at the weight and size difference is very helpful.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This says you value screen over portability.

Here is how you break this discrepancy: Some say they carry the lightest camera possible, cause what is good a super-duper full-featured camera if you tend to leave it at home?

So if you find it like you are somewhere and did not have your laptop with you and wished you had, FREQUENTLY (key word), then you want the Air, else return it.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

While not quite the same, I had a similar dilemma when I purchased my 11" MBA while already having a 15" MBP. Long story short, I basically leave the 15" at the office and have the 11" at home. It's what I travel with and boy does my back thank me (because I also have all that photo equipment with me :) ). Unless I need to do a lot of work on the computer, I'm on my MBA outside of the office. On days I am on the go to meetings all day direct from my house, I bring the MBA. I'm really glad to have it.