conflicted - bachlor party but too expensive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unknown00, Feb 20, 2012.

1. unknown00 macrumors member

one of my good friends (i would say one of my closest friend from college, though we don't talk much anymore cause i moved) just got engaged and is having a bachelor party. i was invited. it's going to be a weekend thing (so total fun time of like 48hours) and is going to cost roughly $800-$1000 all inclusive (includes cost of paying for bachelor). i can't justify spending $800 (lets just say it'll cost this much) for 48hours of fun, that's ridiculous. i'm not poor, i have the money, but again, 48hours of fun for $800? it just sounds ridiculous to me

am i really being too cheap or am i reasonable in my thoughts?

2. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would do it if the people were worth it. Sounds to me like maybe the people arent worth the money. I have a core group of close friends from college and I would pay a lot of money to spend 48 hours with them.

3. 184550 Guest

You've haven't given us much of the pertinent information; travel time/ cost to location? Does the amount cover food and lodging? Etc...

To me, that doesn't seem terribly expensive for a weekend worth of fun with what I would assume are friends. It's not like you're doing this every weekend, right?

4. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

it's going to be in Miami - the $800-$1000 includes every from travel, food, lodging, entertainment

5. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can I go in your place ?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

IMHO, a tittie-to-total ratio higher than 2:250 is too expensive.

7. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Pro: it only happens once.

Con: once it happens, it's gone.

You shouldn't have to go into debt just to have a good time. I don't know how far you live from anywhere cool, but to have everyone spend that much money is silly IMHO.

I missed my old college roommate's bachelor party 15 years ago, and have somehow survived and remained friends. YMMV.

8. slu macrumors 68000

slu

If he really is a good friend, you are being cheap, in my opinion.

9. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Could you also consider it a vacation away from hard work? If you can afford it then why not view it that way?

10. 184550 Guest

IMO, that's rather cheap for Miami. I'd jump on it. If you don't mind me asking, where are you traveling from? (Obviously it's not such a great deal if you're coming from, say, Fort Lauderdale. :p )

11. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

12. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

from Boston. the bachelor decided to pick somewhere "exotic" and not local because not only does he want to go all out but half the attendees aren't from his local city - some of us like me moved upon graduation

13. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

When trying to make these kinds of decisions, I always ask myself one question: will I regret not doing this later?

Yeah, it's a lot of money. But you can afford it. So don't think about it as a financial thing.

Think about whether, 5 or 10 years down the line, you'll look back and wish you'd been there. If yes, do it. If no, skip it. :)

14. chordate68 macrumors regular

chordate68

15. unknown00 thread starter macrumors member

lol you would say that but i have annual business trips to vegas where all expenses paid (including partying and drinking), i think in 2011 my amex card bill was like $2k+ just from vegas and i didn't even pay for a lot of stuff

16. 184550 Guest

All the more reason to go to Miami.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's really your call. How much do you get to see these people and how much do you want to see these people?

I dropped a fat chunk of change at a bachelor party for a friend of mine in Vegas in one night and at the time I was like, "Holy crap I can't believe I spent that much money. What the hell was I thinking!?!" When you make more than one trip to the ATM at a strip club you know you are in trouble...

5yrs later that money has long since been put bank in my bank account and I've got memories of one of the most fun nights of my life. Short term kinda sucked, but long term... I'd do it all over again in a NY minute.

Lethal

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    If he's a stand up guy he'll understand if you can't make it.

If you opt out - just send a decent gift. That smooths everythin' over.

19. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

sounds like fun, cheap for the location and a good chance to reconnect if this is a really good friend.

after spending more than a few hours on south beach, i can tell you there are way more than 125 topless sunbathers. expand that over the course of 48 hours (20 +or- hours sunbathing time) and it would more than equal your ratio. no dollars required, just don't drool, stare to long, or take pics. not cool. ;)

20. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

800 bucks for a fun weekend in Miami with friends -- seems like a decent deal to me. It's not like you're doing this all the time, and based on your posts it seems like you have a steady job and make decent money. You'll see that money in your accounts again by this time next year.

DO IT!

21. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Dude, do it. Some of the best money I've ever spent is only remembered in stories from other people there. :D:D:D

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Go for it, OP.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

how many other of your former closest friends do you expect will want you to spend $800 on a party for them? if this is it, then go for it.......but if EVERYBODY is going to expect it, then maybe not

24. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Go. Then when you get back, post about how you had a raving night that you couldn't remember the next morning, with the bachelor gone missing :D

25. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)