Conflicted: New iMac or a great deal

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 2012imac, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 2012imac macrumors newbie

Sorry for the new thread, I am sure this question has been asked before, but I would like advice from anyone willing to give it!

Like many of you, I have ~$1800 burning a hole in my bank account waiting for a 2012 iMac. Today, a friend told me she wants to sell her like-new 27" Late 2009-early 2010 iMac. It is a 10,1 - MB952LL/A 3.06GHZ Core 2 Duo with 4 GB Ram. If I got the computer, I would install some aftermarket memory to bring it up to the modern age.

To be honest, I won't be doing much high intensity anything on the machine beyond Illustrator and Final Cut editing (no games).

Here is my question: I told her I would look up the value and give her a fair offer if I decide I want it. What, in your opinion, would be the price point at which this would be too good an offer to refuse? I had my heart set on trying out the new iMac's fancy fusion drive, Ivy Bridge, Nuclear fission-driven hydraulic decoupler, flux capacitor, etc., do you think I would miss the performance? What would you do?

Thank you and I'll take my answer off the air!:)

2. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

So it's now out of Apple care warranty so anything goes wrong, your stuffed. 3 years old. I'd definitely buy new. You'll just have to buy another new machine in a year or two. It's not worth stuffing around unless you pick it up for about 350 bucks.

3. 2012imac thread starter macrumors newbie

smoking monkey, thanks for such a quick response. I appreciate the honesty!

4. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

No worries. But others may have a different view about how much you should pay for the 2nd hand machine. Personally, If it were my machine, that's how much I'd sell it to a friend for. But others might think 500 bucks might be a fairer offer. If you got the money though and don't mind spending it, why not get a new machine?

5. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

I'd say more like $700+ if it's in excellent condition. Iv'e seen them for $1000 to $1250 online with a 90 day warranty. I sold my 2007 21" 2.4 iMac last winter for $700.

6. Isengardtom macrumors member

Nice for you , but I honestly would not pay that amount for such an old Mac.

7. 2012imac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the advice. If nothing else, I need to reconsider the price. I think I was going to overpay ($700ish). Maybe I will offer a lower amount and be honest that she could get more somewhere else.

8. tyche macrumors 6502

She could probably get $800-$1000 for it depending on location and a bit of luck. It's not a bad machine, has that giant screen. If you're not doing heavy work (development, movie/sound editing, etc) it's quite viable as a casual computer. People who want an iMac see it as a great price to get one to try out instead of paying 2-3x that.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything older than the 2011 model these days but I've used iMacs and know what I need them to do for me.

9. tredstone macrumors regular

This thread title is unintentionally implying that the new iMac is not a great deal. :D lol

10. shortie8512 macrumors member

It isn't, or at not in the UK... they hiked the price up and give you less for a higher price