Conflicted on keeping or selling my 2015 15" MBP

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
619
1,819
Right now I have the fully spec'd MBP (1 TB, 2.8GHz, 16GB). I love it, but it having Haswell is a bit of a bummer. While I'm looking at the new MBP's, I'm worried about several things:


1) Keyboard - The biggest factor for me.As a student, the trackpad and keyboard are two aspects of the hardware that are absolutely key for me. I absolutely hate the rMB, and if they were to bring this into the MBP's, it would be a deal breaker.


2) Battery - Rumors are that the new MBP's will be thinner, which I'm guessing will mean smaller battery?


3) Processor - Again, this computer works great, but if the new one will have Skylake, how much more of an improvement will that have on the computer?


4) MagSafe - Would Apple remove this for USB-C? It is one of those defining features for me that makes me appreciate the MBP.


5) dGPU - Along with the processor, this is one of those things that I'd like to get improved in the next MBP. M370X, while it gets the job done, is very lackluster for a 3K+ device, especially when it comes to playing games on either OSX or BootCamp.


TL;DR - While I'm looking for the inevitable upgrade for the dGPU and progression to SkyLake, I'm wondering if it's worth it to sell this MBP (For around 70-80% of its value) and get the next MBP. On the other side, the cons, I'm worried about the keyboard, battery, and magsafe (Although I'm sure there are a lot of other things that may change for the better or worse with the next MBP). What are you guys' thoughts? Should I sell this computer or hold onto it?
 

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
1,243
306
You didn't say what you'd use in the interim. Selling it now based on unverified assumptions of what might or might not be announced at WWDC (or earlier...or later) could leave hamstrung or disappointed.
 

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
619
1,819
You didn't say what you'd use in the interim. Selling it now based on unverified assumptions of what might or might not be announced at WWDC (or earlier...or later) could leave hamstrung or disappointed.
Correct - apologies. I have a MBA from 2013 that I have lying around. It gets the job done with taking notes, etc., but I can already see the lag when I have more than 2 tabs opened for Safari.
 

killawat

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
1,443
2,185
Are you really able to get $2300-$2600 bucks for that machine? If you could I would definitely sell. I figure most people wanting that high end config could buy it new for retail.
 

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
619
1,819
Are you really able to get $2300-$2600 bucks for that machine? If you could I would definitely sell. I figure most people wanting that high end config could buy it new for retail.
After fees and such, I think I can probably get around $2500 for the device. Why would you recommend for me to sell it?
 

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
581
111
If you could get that much for it I wouldn't hesitate just to open the doors on the future, but don't count your eggs before they hatch I guess. If they really hold that good resale, it's exactly why I buy Apple... Hoping you didn't buy it at Apple, but a reputable online retailer instead and didn't pay the taxes on $3000, coming out with what you feel is a buying mistake with only a $500 loss on a computer is nothing to cry at.

Just a little heads up, the i7-6700HQ that most skylake systems are using, and I almost want to put money on Apple likely going to use that quad core chip for its next MBP iteration. doesn't actually have the same raw performance as the current top chip in the MBP the i7-4980HQ.

Geek bench on i7-6700 systems is around 12,000-13,000.. geek bench on i7-4980hq systems is 15000-16000

just saying, we will see though what physical chip apple decides to go with. Considering their current contract with AMD It's doubtful the next MBP will even have that good of a dGPU either, AMD just really lacks in the mobile segment. and the Skylake GT4e isn't even slated to come out til after it's expected the new MBP's are released so to see a MBP with a dGPU killing integrated GPU which the GT4e is, won't be til likely the next refresh beyond this upcoming new release.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Queen6

killawat

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
1,443
2,185
After fees and such, I think I can probably get around $2500 for the device. Why would you recommend for me to sell it?
How new is the device? AppleCare? What I was getting at is that the $2500 estimate especially after fees and may be a stretch unless the box is close to brand new and/or includes 3 yr Applecare. I know your machine is $3200+ but the market may not respond to premium upgrades like cpu
 

steve23094

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2013
2,612
1,330
You're dreaming thinking you will sell your MacBook for $2500 (after fees) or you know a sucker.

eBay and PayPal fees end up being about 15% so assuming that's where you're going (and most other places are in the same ballpark) that means you will be selling for $2875.

Apple sells the same model and specs refurb for $2719. Why would anyone pay you $150 more? I think you better revise your expectations.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15
 
Last edited:

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
581
111
You're dreaming thinking you will sell your MacBook for $2500 or you know a sucker.

eBay and PayPal fees end up being about 15% so assuming that's where you're going (and most other places are in the same ballpark) that means you will be selling for $2875.

Apple sells the same model and specs refurb for $2719. Why would anyone pay you $150 more? I think you better revise your expectations.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

Sad thing for him is he already has doubts in his mind about liking or keeping the system so its all over for him now. I for one couldn't be happier having bought the system a couple weeks after its mid 2015 release, and fully understand that stuff gets better and you can't win. But if he is anything like me and vehicles, if you start to get doubts there is no sense in fooling yourself, and just get out of it for whatever loss it may be, which I have my doubts he could grab anywhere near 2500 but it's all up to him.
 

judgedeath2

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
36
11
I just got the 15" 16/512/dGPU model and paid $1939 for it brand new. I would expect to sell yours for $2300.
 

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
7,682
2,103
You love it, it does what you want it to do why would you care about what may or may not come out in the next few months, that's tech buying I'm afraid. Skylake is no great improvement and unless you game or edit large 4K video a GPU upgrade won't mean much to you just be happy with what you have.

I also doubt you'll get $2500 for it either.
 

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
2,720
760
I sold my 2015 MBP 13". The way I see it, while my last 4 MacBooks have been great at their job, they also "looked" exactly the same. So I dumped it while it still had value in favor of the future.

Sure, it's possible that selling early could backfire on me (like it did with my dual drive MacMini that was replaced by a locked down 2014 Mini) but I figure if the new MacBook is a dud then I can always buy a 2015 for dirt cheap.
 

Smoovejayy

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2012
226
101
Correct - apologies. I have a MBA from 2013 that I have lying around. It gets the job done with taking notes, etc., but I can already see the lag when I have more than 2 tabs opened for Safari.
Lag? I have a specced out MBA and it does fine with about 15 tabs open, running an external monitor, plus other apps. I am a student as well and will probably get the new MBP that comes out this year (pending changes). Your MBA should run smoother than mine...
 

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
619
1,819
Lag? I have a specced out MBA and it does fine with about 15 tabs open, running an external monitor, plus other apps. I am a student as well and will probably get the new MBP that comes out this year (pending changes). Your MBA should run smoother than mine...
Lol I wish I could explain why, but with recent disasters on the OSX, anything is possible.
 

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
635
324
Las Vegas
If I had that machine I wouldn't be anywhere near this forum/topic for about 4-5 years, the next laptop I would get (if I had yours) would be a futuristic ARM-based MacBook Pro 2019-2020...

I would just get to serious work using the rMBP for whatever it's purpose is...
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,832
30,349
Boston
but it having Haswell is a bit of a bummer.
What does Haswell not do for your needs, that skylake will?

Is the computer not fitting your needs?

I cannot imagine going from Haswell to Skylake will offer much difference in real world usage. Just enjoy the computer you have, there will always be newer models coming out.