Conflicted with new purchase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gman901, Jul 22, 2016.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

So I have the 2015 base version and currently down to 9 GB for my Windows 10 partition and 20 GB for my Mac partition. I have been looking at 2016 version (M5 with 512GB) and wondering if I should stick with my base unit or is there enough of an upgrade with the latest M5 version. I keep hearing it's only about a 15% increase in speed and not really enough to notice the difference, but wondering if anyone who had a base 2015 unit has really noticed a significant boost in performance? I'll give you an example - I play Ori and the Blind Forest on my 2015 Macbook on low settings and in windows mode in order to actually play it smoothly. Would the latest version at least play smoothly at 1280x800 in full screen? That would show me there is definitely a significant upgrade with the latest version.

2. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently in a similar situation. I'm kind of waiting for the new MBP to see what that has to offer. I have a rMBP base model mid-2012, the first year they had it, and a base 2015 rMB. Since getting the rMB, more and more I am using my rMBP as a desktop machine, which means it's getting very little use. But since I am doing some video editing and photography, occasionally I have to switch over to it because it just has more power than the rMB.

I find the rMB has ALMOST enough power to be my daily computer. I love its form factor, and I love the size, though a 13" version would be perfect I think. The one port thing doesn't bother me. Basically it is ALMOST the perfect computer. It's nice and portable, and if I want a bigger screen, I can connect it to an external monitor.

From what I've heard, jumping to a 2016 isn't going to get me much boost, and probably isn't going to make much of a difference in the areas I want improvement. But if someone can tell me I'm wrong, that would make my decision pretty easy.

One thing I'd like to be able to run on the rMB is Adobe Premiere. My understanding is it's pretty unusable. I haven't switched yet, but will be soon. Current FCPX works fine on it.

I'd also like QuarkXPress to function better on the rMB, but that is less important.