Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
So my wife is borrowing my iPad mini until the new one comes in, so a few months ago I bought the Nexus 7 2013 and really like the retina screen, but not really in love with android. I want the new iPad mini retina (or Air if it is small enough) but I really like using my Moga pro controller to play games like Modern Combat 5, Dead Trigger, etc versus using the touch controls. Realistically, will the Apps that I bought for iOS be updated to work with controllers or do I need to hang onto this Nexus 7 for controller support? I don't see a lot of traction on iOS except for these elusive controller rumors.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think that controllers will take off on iOS now that there is an official API and style guide on how to make them. But I don't see many older games—especially from Gameloft or EA—being updated to take advantage of it. Good indie devs probably will for their more recent releases, but the big boys know how to get people to pay for upgrades.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
okay, thanks! I am trying to appreciate my Nexus 7 with my iPhone and my MBA, but it feels like the odd man out. Maybe it will make it easier knowing that I'll probably be waiting a long time for my Mini to arrive after ordering. I know one thing is for sure that I can't go back to the regular iPad mini after having such a great screen with the Nexus.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
I understand what you mean. I do like Android though, I just don't like that right now it's way behind iOS in terms of the sheer number of gaming apps for iOS. I really think an iPad air + a stand alone controller (the moga and logitech look awkward to hold) will be a prime gaming set-up.

Since devs release and update for iOS first, I'm sure the majority of them will add native controller support. There's just no rush right now until the controllers are out.

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I understand what you mean. I do like Android though, I just don't like that right now it's way behind iOS in terms of the sheer number of gaming apps for iOS. I really think an iPad air + a stand alone controller (the moga and logitech look awkward to hold) will be a prime gaming set-up.

Since devs release and update for iOS first, I'm sure the majority of them will add native controller support. There's just no rush right now until the controllers are out.

I'm with you on that! I think the iOS platform for gaming will be tons more exciting with the option to use a controller with apps that make sense. It would be really great if I could start my game on my iPad mini retina and continue playing using airplay or preferably HDMI to my flat panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.