Conflicting advice on cleaning Retina screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by K701, Dec 6, 2014.

1. K701 macrumors newbie

I have read all the threads on the coating of rMBP screens and seen that many of the cases involve the owner using a water dampened microfibre cloth, which is the official care instruction.

For those of you that own a retina Macbook Pro and have not suffered the coating coming off, what product do you use to clean the screen?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I follow Apple's instructions and have never had a problem.

How to clean Apple products
    Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
    Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic, such as these:

3. K701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have read the official line, which has caused issues for some (or a lot in the coating threads of this and other forums). There are a lot of threads there thank you; I wanted to target the people who have never had any coating issues from their way of cleaning. They might be doing something magical. I want to know their magic.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no magic involved. As I said, I've used a soft cloth dampened with just tap water and I've never had any problems.

5. K701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Witchcraft then?

I wonder if the thinner chassis means more flexing when carried in bags and accentuates this problem (similar to the problem Airs had/have)?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've always handled my notebooks with reasonable, but not obsessive/compulsive, care. I've never had problems with flexing or cleaning. YMMV.

7. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I've followed Apple's instructions, have been using the microfiber cloth provided in the box, I've had issues and I've created a thread few months back.
    There's definitely a QC issue present, but I've had no luck confirming this with an Apple Store employee so far.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I use a dry microfiber cloth. When there's spots that can't be removed. Spray a little iklear on the cloth and wipe.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I try to clean my display as little as possible. Whenever I do it, I generally use just water. On rare occasions, I've used glass cleaner because my kids put their fingers on the display and got it all smudged up.

So far that's worked well for me.

10. K701 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will have to take down any approaching children. I fear the dreaded fingernail from a work colleague, whipped out and stabbed at the screen without a moments notice.

Ok, so far I have for prevention:
    1) a micro fibre cloth to sit between the screen and the keyboard
    2) remove dust molecules with a soft camel hair brush (Egyptian is best)
    3) use a different micro fibre cloth to clean in small soft circular motions while gently singing 'Clean the Day Away' (but careful that the key I choose does not vibrate the coating)
    4) use water, but not water from a hard water area, preferably distilled water originating from the Tara in Montenegro
    5) test the acidity in my hand sweat to make sure I'm Macbook compatible

All this while on the lookout for exploding pixels (The 'bug crawled out of my screen' was a favourite thread to read). If this does happen, wait until there are 4 before Apple will do anything.

And finally, if I do have to send it back with coating issues- don't say it's the coating as they will blame customer use despite the above- but say it is a manufacturing glue fault.

Apple's mission to spread OCD to masses is working well. I wonder if they fund a CBT scheme somewhere and are preparing customers? The iOCD program.

11. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Less is always more when cleaning your screen. Personally, I use 100% cotton diapers. And just enough water to dampen whatever grime is on the screen and get it off easily. I treat it more like a weekly dusting than a cleaning if that makes sense. Cleaning my screen takes no more than 30 seconds. Moisten the screen with 5 or 6 broad swipes, then 5 or 6 swipes with a dry part of the diaper. NO CONSTANT RUBBING.

12. Artimus12, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014

Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

:apple: Think Different. :apple:

v v v click-pics v v v

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the best things i've found for glass - non-abrasive & they do a good job of cleaning off smears, fingerprints and splashes without any damage or residue, no matter how heavy-handed you might be.

I've used these since I bought mine in August and have zero marks on the screen.

13. K701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would a panty liner work?

I know the rule of no rubbing when they are in use.

14. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

I use the black microfiber cloth that apple gives you with the laptop, and it does a good job of getting rid of the occasional fingerprint/smudge on the screen. No coating wear so far, knock on wood. Kind of miss the old unibody's that just had straight up glass on the screen and were easy to clean with anything

15. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Dab of water for me and a soft micro cloth as mentioned. No issues. I don't rub hard either.

16. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

I would recommend a soft brush made out of unicorn hair... :D

I use the black microfiber cloth and a little tap water if needed...

17. blooperz macrumors 6502

I just grab whichever cat is closest and use him as a rag, no scratches so far fingers crossed XD

18. K701 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not allowed to keep cats. I can't afford the unicorn brushes following the vast cost of the MacBook. I have however used copious amount of conditioner on my chest hair over the weeks and so rub the screen on that to clean.

They think I'm weird in the office, but everyone loves it when a gal takes off her bra mid afternoon.

19. bxjagal macrumors newbie

I just brought this product called Whoosh! so far its really good.