Conflicting Info Crucial vs Apple | Upgrading Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ediponc, Feb 9, 2017.

1. ediponc macrumors newbie

ediponc

Hi Guys, I am trying to upgrade my MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012's memory from 4GB to as much as I can get.

I went on the website crucial and chose my computer model. MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012.

Crucial told me that there is a 4GB and an 8GB memory stick that are compatible with my computer. And that my system's maximum memory is: 16384MB. If this is the case I would happily go with 2x 8gb sticks.

BUT then support.apple.com website says that my machine's maximum memory is 8GB (and only accepts 2GB and 4GB memory sticks) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

So I'm conflicted. Can I trust Crucial and ignore Apple?

Also, Any hint as to what screw driver set I could buy to execute this? I bought a set a while ago to open up my macbook pro and the set was such poor quality that the screwdrivers twisted while removing the screws. The screws are in great shape and the screwdriver was tossed in the garbage.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yeah it supports 16GB RAM. 2x8GB DDR3 1600MHz SODIMM. :)

3. ediponc thread starter macrumors newbie

ediponc

Thank you! This 4GB is holding me baaaaack :D

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If you are in there already and can afford it replace the HDD with an SSD it will give a greater speed boost then the ram upgrade by far.

5. treekram macrumors 65816

I bought a mid-2012 13" MBP in late 2015 and got the 16GB that Crucial specified (from Crucial) and it's working fine.

6. chipchen macrumors 6502

16GB works great. At the time the computer was released the official specs stated 8GB because 16GB wasn't available.

7. greywolfe macrumors member

greywolfe

+1 for going to 16GB. I did the same to my Mid 2012 some time ago using Crucial memory as well as installing SSD. Everything still running great.