Conflicting information from Apple regarding maximum RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by desmotesta, Nov 28, 2012.

1. desmotesta macrumors member

Hello all,

I recently received my early-2011 17" refurbished MBP (with 2.2 i7 Quad-core).
    Sadly it was shipped with just 4 GB of RAM. I wasnt expecting to upgrade the RAM until I started using the laptop for some serious photo-video editing but after looking at the RAM usage in activity monitor I see that I am using 3 out of 4 GB of RAM just browsing the internet or watching videos.

Given how cheap RAM is these days, I decided to order a 16GB set.

I contacted APPLE support to confirm that upgrading RAM (myself) will not affect the warranty, they confirmed (and added that RAM IS user upgradable, HDD is NOT)

Apple support tech also told me that my machine was only upgradable to 8 GB and NOT 16 GB like I had read on several threads (here and other forums)

Can someone confirm/explain why APPLE claims the early-2011 17" i7 Sandybridge machine is only upgradable to 8 GB while so many people claim to have upgraded to 16GB?

Here is a link from apple:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270?viewlocale=en_US#link6

Thank you for your feedback

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Both the HDD and RAM as deemed user replacable.

Your MBP does support 16GB RAM.

8GB SO-DIMMs did not exist when it came out, but the chipset supports it. When they did come out, 16GB RAM could be had for roughly $1800, probably why Apple never offered it.

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Check out your system specs. on this site:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-17-early-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html

Also......see my sig.

4. GGJstudios, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. The HDD is user-upgradable. From the MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) - User Guide
    Page 37 of that document gives instructions on how to replace the hard drive.
    The support tech is wrong. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

With your specs, according to Intel, it supports up to 32GB DDR3.
    However, no such module exist at this moment.

Also your HDD is user upgradable.

Just replace it with your original RAM and HDD when you return or send it to get it fixed.