Confused 13" or 15" MBPr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robster3, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Hi, Have read all the threads on here and after talking to so called experts at Apple and resellers i am still no closer to making a decision. With the price drop in Australia the difference between the 2 base models is $850.
    I have a 09 27" imac still good, do like the 13" for moving around the house but every time i ask about photos and video they say 15", which would be a good desktop.
    My main uses are web, email, tv, itunes movies, sonos music, photos and video but nothing pro, only have 5gb.
    The 13" just seems better value. The 256gb is $200 more making it $650 less than the 15" base model.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

2. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

The advantage of the 15 are screen real estate and computing power. If you are a gamer, the 15" is a better choice, too.

From what you wrote you don't need either really, so i would go for the 13". I did the same :)

3. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Do you do any heavy lifting with regards to photo and video editing? If so then the 16 GB 15" would be more capable in that regard vs. the 13".

If you don't then the 13 " seems like a much better fit.

4. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

What about handbrake video conversion to iTunes? I'm no computer expert, but ill guess the Quad-core in the 15" is a little faster than the dual-core. Anyone know by how much (base configurations)?

5. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

No just play around with iPhoto and iMovie from my iPhone or camera.

----------

No can do that on my iMac.

6. LachlanH macrumors regular

13" for sure.

Your photo and video needs you describe would be handled easily by the 13".

I have a 2011 13" MBP and have cut together a few simple home movies in iMovie on it with zero issues what so ever. A current 13" rMBP would handle it even better.

Literally the only reason to get the 15" in my opinion is if you want to play games on it, or if you do heavy photoshop or medium to large HD video projects.

7. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

I bought a 13 - the form factor is unbelievable. I love it.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Just got my 13" and it is awesome. I do a little photo and video editing on the side, but have yet to try it out. But for my other tasks (iOS development) it passed with flying colors.

The 15" will be better performance wise all around, but for the applications you describe I don't think there would be much of a difference.

For me this is the perfect form factor. Tons of high speed ports (Coming from a Macbook Air...:D), beautiful display that allows you to change its effective resolution, thin and light. It would pretty much be the perfect machine if you could stuff the 15" hardware inside, but as is it is pretty close.

9. Robster3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all the advice. Thinking i may get a refurbished base model 15", they are only $150 more than the 256GB 13".

10. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Literally just did that this morning myself.

11. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

How did this work out? Im trying to decide against a new 13 rmbp 2.6GHz with 256 ssd i5 OR a refurb 15'' rmbp 2.3 i7 with 256 ssd. Is there a huge difference between the 2.6 GHz and the 2.3 GHZ? I'm hoping to have this computer for 4-5 years and use it everywhere, home, office, in bed, on the couch, plane, etc. I dont do much gaming, but would like the option. 15 may be too large and bulky? Just right?....ugh..help! Price difference is $188, so not an issue. I just want the best all around value! Thanks guys! Just need a push.

12. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If you want that kind of lifetime out of it, you'll almost certainly want to go with a 15" over a 13". That being said, you'll probably want to take the hit for 16GB RAM also. You won't want to be limited by RAM down the road a few years from now.

Refurbs are great products, too. :)

13. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

Thanks. I cant upgrade the RAM on the 15. Its refurb, but could on the 13 (its new and can eb pre-configured), but then the price difference between the two options grows dramatically. I'll keep researching, keep opinions flowing everyone, thanks and cheers.

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

RE: 2.3 vs. 2.6

There is a huge difference. The 2.6 is a dual core i5 processor with a 3MB cache and the 2.3 is a quad core i7 with a 6MB cache. Apples to apples, both in terms of performance and longevity you'll want to choose the 2.3 GHz i7.

RE: Size

The 15" Retina is very thin and light for a 15 in. notebook. This is not your typical tradiitional 15 in. notebook. It is measurably much more portable and easier to move around with. The 13 in. obviously has an advantage in terms of size and weight but measured against the performance gain you would get by going 15 the size trade off is worth it, imo.

RE: Gaming

The gaming aspect is what might finally tip the scales in the 15's favor, because it has the additional benefit of discrete graphics which can run modern 3D games reasonably well. The 13 has integrated graphics that struggle with most 3D games.

Conclusion: 15 all the way. Just my opinion though.

15. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

Thanks very much swerve147! I think you just tipped the scales for me. I may not do any gaming, but the processor difference and cache you described above tip the scales for me too, as does the quad processor. I wonder why the refurb that I'm looking at is so "inexpensive" comparative.

16. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

It's basically refurb vs. new. Refurbs are heavily discounted, enough to bring the refurb 15 price very close to a new 13.

However you have nothing to fear with Apple refurbs. They are very high quality and come with an identical Apple warranty as new. I'm a refurb owner myself and am very satisfied with the purchase.

17. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Refurbs will be good as new, but I suspect most of those 15" refurbs were returned due to image retention...

18. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

Can you expand on this a bit please? Screen would be replaced i would guess, but can you educate me a bit? Thanks and cheers guys- getting ready to pull the trigger!

19. swerve147, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

True, that might have been the case, but refurbs have an additional advantage over new in that they were re-inspected by an Apple technician. Personally I've received 2 Samsung screens in my refurbs, it's quite possible that the original machine had IR, but Apple replaced the screen.

Still, all in all, good as new.

There is a general issue of certain screens on the 15 in. Retina having severe image persistence or ghosting, usually attributed to LG screens. You can do a Google search on "Retina Macbook display burn in" to get more info.

Apple has been replacing screens under the 1-year warranty as needed. Personally I think it's been blown out of proportion but ultimately I haven't had the issue so I'm not in the position to say.

20. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

Thanks guys- a little more research on the above points to be made and then its time to pull the trigger. Right now leaning towards the refurb 15 mentioned above, the only factor holding me up is the size in everday useage on the train, plane, couch, bed, desk. I keep wondering if the 13 would suit it better. I've seen them both at the store, but thats a hard gauage in real life situations.

21. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Apple's official statement has been that the image-retention is "normal" so I was thinking that these returns wouldn't be getting new screens.

But, it seems others have had good luck getting Samsung screens in their refurbs.

22. ADK Titan macrumors newbie

Well- in case you were wondering (how did you sleep at night without knowing the outcome?) and thanks for all for the advice- After researching all day long various i5 vs i7, rmbp vs mba, dual vs quad, 13 vs 15 threads, I was ready to pull the trigger on the refurb 15. I decided to stop into the Apple store on my way home from work to actually hold and use again the actual two laptops and compare actual size and form factor.

For some reason, the 13 was just the perfect fit for my hands on the keyboard as it's not as deep or wide as the 15 (15 has those speakers on the side too that I did not really care for) and the weight does differ by at least a pound. The 13 just felt right when resting, moving and typing and for my uses, which will not include heavy gaming or heavy video/audio editing, the 13 will be perfect. I ordered through the EPP program a 13/i7/256 and I am confident it will last me 3-5 years (at least) and be enough machine. Lesson learned- I cant learn everything off the interwebs and I need to try for myself how things fit. Thanks for the great forum all. Cheers~

23. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Ahhhh just saw this and was ready to talk you into the 15". LOL. In any case, both machines are crazy portable (I always carry my 15" with one hand on the front corner to show people things, so lightweight it's crazy) and you're going to love the screen! (my refurb has an LG screen by the way w/o image retention, so...)