Confused about ADDING a SSD drive to MC510LL/A 2010 27" iMAC.... help?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bella92108, Oct 23, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Okay, before you all attack me saying it's been discussed... I know, I've read through.

The question I have is that the general consensus is that there's no room inside for my new 3.20GHz Intel Core i3 27" iMac to have an SSD added. It comes standard with a 1.0TB drive, but I have a 256GB SSD that I want to put in there and use as my primary workhorse\boot drive.

Most of the articles I've seen are vague, but say there's no place inside the unit to put a second drive (mine is a standard laptop SSD drive)... but my question is this... when I configured it to order, there's an option for a 1TB drive + 256GB SSD... so the question is how does apple put two drives in it but supposedly there's not room inside for me to put my SSD?

Am I missing something here?

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

There is, and apple puts it above the gpu. The trick is getting an additional esata wire in there, as Apple doesn't provide an extra esata connection unless you get the bto option that has SSD preinstalled for you. Most people just assume replace the already present HDD or ODD with an SDD.

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is it fairly simple to get an eSATA wire up there? I'm not wanting to replace the HD, I want to leave the 1TB drive it comes with in there, but I want to add an SSD in addition to, and use it as a primary drive.

Is the space that'll be provided in my drive able to support the 2.5" drive's mounting screws or do i need a special kit for it?

4. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Not sure if you've seen it but Other World Computing does have an interesting Turnkey program for upgrading your iMac to SSDs. Might be worth a look.

5. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

The program looks viable, but EXPENSIVE... $319 for me to send my 27" mac in GROUND (UPS is known for beating up ground packages, I can't imagine how that'd work out), and them just popping in a second drive which I supply? For $319 (1/4th the price of the entire computer) that's really steep. Mac Authorized service centers usually charge $40 an hour or so for labor... would be more safe and cost effective to take to them even if they charge 4 hours, lol

6. Rustus Maximus macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Yep, I understand completely and having to ship to them would also be one of my biggest concerns. Though adding an external eSATA port does add some interesting flexibility to the iMac for me personally from a video editing perspective. I can however vouch for them as a company, OWC has never disappointed me in any aspect of my dealings with them. Good people, solid products, great customer service.

And no...they aren't paying me...

but maybe they should...hmmmmm...:cool:

7. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree, I've bought from them, great company... but like you my fear is sending my iMac via ground or anywhere unnecessarily. Too risky...

8. dickchow macrumors newbie

9. greggyc macrumors newbie

imac I7 27inch Late 20098

Hi there,

I haver a late 2009 imac 27in i7. I would like to install an SSD for primary and leave the 1TB sata as the secondary.

Does the late 2009 model have enough sata ports to support 2 drives?