confused about archive and install (sorry)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mopppish, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hi, all.
    I'm getting Leopard this week and am a little confused about what exactly Archive and Install does.
    I have the MBP in my sig with a relatively fresh system install (did an erase and install about a month and a half ago) of Tiger. I have a few purchased apps installed (Toast 8, Logic Studio, Office 2004, Max/MSP) and a few free apps (Firefox, iBackup) but no system mod software (i.e. Shapeshifter, Uno, etc).
    Between the several gigs of extra content from Logic Studio and a 30GB iTunes library, I really don't feel like doing another erase and install. That being said, I'm the kind of neurotic individual that gets giddy about a "clean" system.
    My understanding is that Archive and Install leaves my apps, docs, music, etc. in place, puts on a fresh install of Leopard, and moves only Tiger SYSTEM files to the "previous system" folder. Is this correct? In other words, since I don't have any crazy plug-ins or system mods installed, will Archive and Install essentially give me what amounts to a clean Leopard install while saving me the time of re-installing all of my apps and music (once I trash the previous system folder)?
    Thanks!

P.S. I haven't been having any problems with 10.4.11

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You are right on the money of how it works, however, let me throw you some HUGE advice. Don't do it! This is a major system upgrade and if you want near ZERO issues back up everything and do a full system erase and install. Archive and Install is best when you are reinstalling the same OS version. So for example if you are having some issues and want to clean things up without doing a full erase then Archive and Install is best for that.

To avoid any unstable behavior do a full erase and install of Leopard, it's a very complex OS upgrade and the upgrade and A&I options just end up blending some of Tigers old files with Leopards and you may end up with unfavorable results.

So again here's why all options are available:

Upgrade. Do this when you have performed a clean install of the previous OS and have done not even as much as surf the web.

A&I. Do this to clean up issues of the same OS.

Erase and Install. Do this when spring cleaning or an OS version upgrade.

3. naftalim macrumors 6502

I have to slightly disagree with the first response you got. You stated that you have a fairly fresh Tiger install that you did with Erase and Install. Therefore, I would recommend that you backup, and do an Archive and Install. It will do as you said and you can get working right away. Its what I did.

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Upgrade: Potential issues, with what you describe likely none though.

Archive and install: Will have to re-install iLife apps and maybe some others. They store some files, such as themes, into the main 'Library' folder. Other apps can do the same. This is the only major drawback to this method.

Erase and install: If you are nuts of have OCD. Not needed.