Confused about ATT "no commitment" price

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by churchrd, Oct 13, 2011.

1. churchrd macrumors member

So ATT says I'm not eligible for an upgrade, yet I qualify for the "No commitment" price(even though I've had iphone 4 since launch day:( ). The price given is $449.99. But it says that is the "2-year term renewal" price. What is up with that? That sure sounds like a commitment to me. I'm confused. It seems like the language on ATT's website is awfully unclear.
    Can anyone here help clarify for me?

2. abijnk, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

AT&T has 3 tiered pricing:

1) Full upgrade discount
    2) Early upgrade discount
    3) No commitment price

The price they are giving you is the early upgrade price. Why their website insists on calling it the no commitment price is beyond me. I've never understood it. Basically, AT&Ts website will always show you the cheapest price available to you.

In short, at this point you have two options, buy the 4S for the no commitment price (if AT&T is offering it, which they have put the quash on in the past) or the early upgrade price.

3. churchrd thread starter macrumors member

abjink, thanks for the clarification. I was confused by ATT saying that I qualified for a "No commitment" price, then showing me a "2 yr term renewal" price. I understand now, that that is the "early upgrade" price.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Marvin's right - the price of $449.99 is the Early Upgrade price, but it does involve a new 2-year commitment. Basically what you're doing is "buying out" your old contract for $250, then starting a new one with the subsidized phone at $199.

True "No Commitment" price would be $649.00, which would not affect your contract at all (just buying the phone at full-retail, no subsidy).

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ah, I've never heard it described like that. I shall steal it.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Everyone qualifies for no commitment pricing.

In this case, when you deal with an iPhone from AT&T, the message will say you qualify for no commit pricing on ALL OTHER phones except the iPhone (your 449 price).