Confused about Developer connection (ADC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, Jun 24, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

If I recall correctly, I believe you need to pay the $99 to gain the developer tools and also the ability to have a substantial discount on one Apple computer during your lifetime. The developer discount does not stack with educational discounts - you already can get an Apple computer cheaper with the developer discount than the education rate anyway.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you just want the dev tools etc you can have a free account. If you want a one-off (one per life) student developer discount you need to pay $99. If you want access to pre-release software, yearly discount etc you need a full ($500?) membership

4. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok, so at what point do they check?

As I got all the way to the checkout without being told to verify etc.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Verify what? That you're a student? I think the do a random sampling and verify after checkout but before activation. Checks can include that you are not only a student, but that you are studying programming classes.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, the Developer Store ALWAYS checks. It's the Education discount that's random. But, yes, that is what they check for.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It always checks that you are a student before allowing you to buy a student ADC membership? Or the store always checks you have a valid discount asset before letting you buy discount hardware?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It checks that you actually have a valid Developer account. The process of checking out without one is the same as if you get caught using an Education discount without qualifying for one... except you always get caught at the Developer store.

Apple contacts you before it ships and tells you that your order could not be completed. They ask if you would like to purchase this hardware at the regular price.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK. The process is very different (and much more annoying) here in the UK. We put our stuff into a saved basket then ask Apple how much they'll charge us with discount. No Developer store with prices listed :(

10. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Which is the better deal, I would like the dev tools, newsletters etc, but if its that vs education discount and edu wins, i'll go with edu. Ftr I'm buying a "Mac Pro".

11. macintosh tech macrumors member

You can check it yourself you know? And it is ADC discount by far.

12. BigPrince macrumors 68020