Confused about dual disk on mbp, simple advice please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolanicola, Aug 27, 2013.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

I have a 15" mid 2010 mbp, 2.4GHZ i5, 8GB RAM.

I have been thinking about speeding it up by installing a 128gb SSD on it to run my OS and my apps off and having a normal hard drive.

Questions:

1. Should I keep my existing hard drive as my secondary disk or buy another one? I'm worried in case anything with having that disk in use means everything will still be slow.

2. I looked at the datadoubler but it doesn't say it is suitable for 2010 mbp. So what can I get to install 2 disks?

3. Finally, I know the samsung evo 840 seems to get the thumbs up. However, from what I've been reading certain SSDs have extra capability that's not usable on certain machines, SATA II maybe...(?) So would this samsung model be ok?

Finally, I did search the forum, but I was unable to made head nor tail of all the info. I tried reading the sticky, but the wording just didn't make sense to me.

EDIT: just seen there is a pro version of the samsung 840 series. Whats the difference with this?

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Basically, what you do with data doubler is get rid of DVD drive on your mbp, using the current hard drive slot with SSD and the doubler on DVD drive with existing HD.
    Should you get the 840 ssd from samsung, it is SATA 3 still you can use it on your macbook, it is 3gb/sec speed because 2010 mbp can go this far, 2011 mbp and after handles speed with 3gb/sec.
    840 pro vs 840 former is high end cost more.
    At the end of the day your SSD will handle OSX and data on secondary drive,
    when boots up you point to SSD should speed up fast.
    If your budget permits, get the 250gb ssd or higher, you can just use the main drive with ssd, leave the DVD drive as is. And use the hard drive that came with the mbp as back up. It is upto you.