Confused about encoding?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by King Flamez1, Aug 13, 2011.

1. King Flamez1, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

King Flamez1 macrumors regular

King Flamez1

I'm starting to get a bit confused as to how this all works. So, right now I'm thinking that with Handbrake, the better the processor I have, the higher the frame rate of the encoded video?
    Or is it the same quality on any machine that you use? just slower to encode on my MBP compared to a better iMac, Mac Pro/other device

is it the same for bit rates?

And, to achieve highest quality product, would it be best to leave it at the "constant quality" option when converting?

Also, I know the bit rate of some of the videos I'm encoding, so should I opt to encode those with the exact same bit rate?

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

The speed of your machine has nothing to do with frame rate. When you're encoding it will do every frame. The faster your machine is, the faster it's through all the frames.

I'm quite sure (I don't work with handbrake) you can set the frame rate. And if not, it will probably take the frame rate from the original material.

The only time you will really see a difference with frame rate is playing it back in realtime. The frames are all there, your computer might just not be fast enough to show them when you play the video. However, this doesn't mean the frames aren't there. A faster computer will be fast enough to show all frames while playing it back in real time. Again, this is playback, not rendering. Rendering/converting/exporting will take it's time for every frame.

I'm not sure about bit rates. Bit rates are the amount of information each second (I think). The higher the bit rate, the more information each second, so I would say the less compressed it is. However it depends on what codec you use.

3. King Flamez1 thread starter macrumors regular

King Flamez1