Confused about Family Sharing Cant get it working

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by jonathan1683, Sep 17, 2014.

1. jonathan1683 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I am trying to get family sharing working I added an apple id for my kid and I created his birthday in 1983 so it would allow this. I then added him to my family and accepted the invite. It shows he is part of my family, but when I try to purchase something instead of asking for permission it requests a credit card number. I don't want to add my credit card number to his apple ID it doesn't really make any sense as to why it is asking. Anyone know how to set this up properly?

Thank you,

2. KLinPA macrumors regular

KLinPA

You have your child set up as an adult which means they need to have their own payment information on file. An adults purchases go through their payment information and can be shared if they allow it. If they are a teenager you need to set up the account as such. If they are under 13, you need a credit card attached to your account to create an Apple ID and attach them to your family sharing account. What's nice is they can add gift card to their account and it will go through the gift card before your credit card -great for birthdays, holidays, and allowances. I would start over with a new Apple ID since you can't change the birthday and this determines what features you can have.

Hope this helps. You can chat or call Apple support and they will help you figure this out if you need. They just helped me. New features can be very confusing. I'm still working on them myself.

3. Danyx macrumors newbie

Danyx

This thing it's annoying me , they don't accept a debit card , only credit card.

4. jonathan1683 thread starter macrumors member

I tried setting them up as an adult and tried putting my credit card number too out didn't change anything I tried to buy something with his account and it directly charged my credit card intead or requesting to buy it from me. you can also change birthdays In manage Apple ID which I also tried to set him up as a 14 year old and it still demanded a credit card and didn't work.

5. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I use my debit card.

6. Danyx macrumors newbie

Danyx

I also have a chat with apple support , and they told me that i need a credit card and it's not possible with a debit card :eek:

Attached Files:

7. KLinPA macrumors regular

KLinPA

Because it's an adult account and adults should have their own payment info, even if it's your credit card it's not going to ask permission to buy since it's coming from the payment information from their own account. By entering the credit card's security code, the account allows it to use the card. For a teen or child account, it asks during setup if you would like to turn on "ask to buy". The problem is due to the account being set up as an adult from the beginning. It's during the setup of a child's account, when you create the Apple ID that you enter the birthdate that is unable to be changed.

8. jonathan1683 thread starter macrumors member

Thats odd because in family sharing it says 14 year old and it setup as ask to buy. I will try to make a new one and see how that works.

Thank you,

9. jonathan1683 thread starter macrumors member

thank you, you were correct I needed to add a family member from the iphone in the family sharing area.