Confused about Final Cut Purchase...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superman666, Jul 4, 2007.

1. superman666 macrumors regular

Hey,
    Because I may be getting a Mac soon, and because I am really interested in filming/editing, I've been looking up different 'Final Cut' choices. I'm very confused however, because I don't want to buy the Final Cut Studio 2 because it's like $1000+.

So that leaves me down to either Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. All I know about Final Cut Express is that it's the consumer version of Final Cut Pro. I'm pretty sure I would like to just purchase Final Cut Pro (6?), but I can never find its price ALONE. It is always assosciated with Final Cut Studio 2. Is there any way I can purchase Final Cut Pro 6 (alone)? And if not what are my other options?

Thanks

P.S. I've used Final Cut in my film class lots of times before, but I don't know what version it was.

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You can't buy FCP alone, it hasn't been sold that way since FCP4. So your options are FCE ($300) or FCS2 ($1300).

Your best bet if you don't want to spend $1300 is to buy FCE. It's not really a "consumer" version, but more of a "prosumer" version. The interface is exactly the same as FCP, but it just lacks some of the features (Multi-clips, Cinema Tools, Compressor). It does come with Livetype and Soundtrack though. It's a great app.

The main disadvantage (IMO) of having Express instead of Studio is the fact that you don't have DVD Studio Pro, so you're going to be stuck with iDVD unless you get another DVD authoring app.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Try And Find An Old Version Somewhere

With any old Commercial version of FCP 1, 2, 3, or 4 you can upgrade to Commercial Studio 2 for $699 or from FCS1 to FCS2 for $499. You can also buy is Academic FCS2 for $699. But you will not be able to upgrade to Commercial from Academic. You should really get Studio 2 for a new Mac. All of its parts are what you will need for full blown editing all the way. But if you want to just do the basics, FCE will do. It's due a new version pretty soon too.

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

It is difficult for some people to think of paying $1300 for a software package. But, it is really a question of whether you are ready to cross the line. Are you ready to start using professional applications? It sounds like you are. But, we all have economic restraints which cannot be ignored. If you cannot swing the cost for FCS2, I think you will find FCE very workably until you can afford FCS.

5. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably purchase FCE. Although, I wish I knew what program I used at my High School in film class.

EDIT: I'm assuming Final Cut Express HD 3.5 is the one I want? Link
    Oh yea and does Final Cut Express come with filters/video effects? Or is that FCP exclusive?

LAST EDIT:
    Lol, I'm coming from using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0... If any of you have used that program is there anything that I will miss?

Sorry, and Thanks in advance.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Final Cut Express has a lot of basic filters, color correction, etc. FCP no doubt has more, but FCE has an adequate amount.

You'll also have Soundtrack and Livetype for audio and titling.

Final Cut Express (imo) is way better than Premiere.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Torturing yourself? :p J/k, I haven't actually used Premiere since the version right before the one that was XP only. There is a new version for the Macs, but it's like $800. If you can afford the edu (if you qualify) discount on FCS, get it. If not, FCE is fine. It's way better than iMovie for all but the basics and better than Premiere IMO. Search eBay for some old versions if cost is an issue. Just be sure to read the person's ratings first. You don't want to be out a couple of hundred bucks.

8. superman666 thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, thanks for the advice on all of the Final Cut products. I'll go with Final Cut Express.

9. seany916 macrumors 6502

If you're serious at all about editing, get the full Studio 2.

Color sucks in its current state (just another company's bad interface thrown in, but it does work), but other than that, the suite rocks.

For the price you get FCP, Colour (you probably won't use it), DVD Studio Pro (excellent program), Compressor (very, very useful), Motion (another excellent program, I think even better than FCP), & of course SoundtrackPro (and other things like QT Pro, which I don't use, but everyone else on the planet uses all the time).

After FC Express, if you actually get decent with the program, you'll end up having to pay again to get the full suite. Is it expensive? Yes. But not for what you get for your money.

Besides, it was just upgraded. Great timing.

Be prepared to spend MANY hours with your computer, if you don't have extra time, don't bother and stick with iMovie.

10. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

FCE is fine, especially to get used to the interface and it is better than nothing if you can't afford FC Studio. You can pick up a copy pretty cheap on eBay or swaplists and you can always sell it once you want or need to get FCS. In fact I still have a boxed FCE I would probably be willing to sell, PM me if your interested.