Confused about GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pixeler, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pixeler macrumors newbie

I just got an iPhone recently and after using the Maps directions for the first time today I was pretty disappointed. Previously, I had used Telenav on my Sprint phone which provided turn-by-turn voice directions. This is necessary while driving so you can just put the phone down and pay attention to the road. I tried to do some research on the web but came across some conflicting information on GPS navigation. Some sites had a "jailbreak" option and others announced turn-by-turn nav coming soon.

I'm confused... can someone tell me if this is possible or not?

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Not at present. I believe there's a GPS app in the App Store, but it doesn't provide turn-by-turn voice prompts. Nothing currently does. There's been a lot of talk about TomTom supposedly having something ready, but that Apple refuses to authorize it, but it's all rumor. Only Apple and the developers know for sure.

This is a pretty well-known limitation of the iPhone, I'm surprised you didn't learn about it before purchasing.

3. iHarrison macrumors regular

iHarrison

yea....Apple has been pretty lame about working with other providers of GPS to get something great for the iPhone. I personally think that maps is still great, but I'd like the turn by turn as well...

4. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

6. pixeler thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, so I assume Apple is doing this because they feel this is their killer app for the iPhone?

7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

well that xgps app is for jailbroken iphones only. so obviously not.

8. RDL macrumors member

Appreciate the info! I checked out the current version and it has great potential.