Confused about handling external storage...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kumse, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kumse macrumors newbie

Hello out there

I just converted to mac in the beginning of this year. Im very happy about my imac 27", but im very confused in the way os x is handling my fat16(and 32) formatted storage cards.
    I know the diskutility, i know how to format and make partitions, i also know that i have to right click and eject media before removing it.

I was wondering the first time i put in a 2Gb Kingston 120x SD card in the internal reader. I deleted several images, and put it back into my canon pocket camera. The images were gone, but there was still the same amount of free space?
    I have copied and formatted the SD card several times since. But now suddenly the camera does not recognize it anymore.
    I thought it was a faulty SD card. and continued with my old 512mb card. Weeks after, this card also start to fail in the camera. I thought it was the camera. Now two SD cards is able to read and write on my mac but not in the camera.
    But now my 4gb SanDisk MicroSD that i use in my Nintendo DS, starts to fail too. Sometimes when i have copied or deleted some files to it, it is very slow to read on my Nintendo DS. I have experienced i have to reformat it several times in diskutility before it works.

At this point i was wondering, maybee the internal SD reader in my imac was defective... But today when i tried to copy pictures from my Nikon DSLR with a SanDisk CF Ultra II 1gb card, it also showed the same problem. When i tried to delete the files, it didnt empty space on the card. I went to diskutility and formatted the card, but the result was "FORMAT" in the nikon display. I now wasnt able to access the card on my camera.
    This time it was possible to format the card in the camera... but should i expect my mac is slowly killing this card too ?????

what do people do out there??? i know you are also doing a lot of photoshop with your pictures form your DSLR's :)

Regards Thomas

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Always delete the card using the camera, that is the best way to avoid issues. Have you tried reformatting the whole card with Disk Utility?

3. kumse thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your answer

But should it really be that difficult to be mac user ?? Then it is not possible to leave some pictures on the memory card ??

Yes i have used disk utility. When i format (fat 16) in disk utility, sometimes the camera cant read the empty card. Then i have to re format it in the camera

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Check the partition table of that SD card with Disk utility, make sure it's Master Partition Table, not GUID.