Confused about HE/NUS discount, buying dilema

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amber, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

I've done a search and I'm still confused.

Currently a member of my family has offered me £1,200 of her credit card to buy a laptop. I might be offered a great chance to do a filmscore by a paying client. Trouble is, I have no money at all and I'm really struggling and while I have this chance I have no way to record as I have no DAW right now.

So, basically I need a MBP and an audio interface. I think can get an interface to record for under £100.

So let's say I have about £1,100 to spend on a MBP. I could go with refurb but I really want to get the latest MBP.

My girlfriend is a student in London, she bought a mac just before she started Uni. She has an NUS card. It's summer holiday now so she can't access the Uni network to view the HE store.

I'm not sure how I could go about this. I guess the person paying could quote my girlfriend's NUS number over the phone and ask for a different delivery address but do I get the same HE discount over the phone as you do on the online store?

If I ever had any problems could I phone up Apple or would my gf have to? Surely she could say she sold it on to me (or I could even) I will buy Applecare for it soon.

Also, I read somewhere about someone getting Logic Pro for £100 for being a student. Is there anyway to see the HE store without being on a Uni network?

2. Bow Rekk macrumors member

You will be able to get the low end MBP for about £1100 and Logic pro 7 for £278.48. I got pretty much the same (2.16 c2d) in april with the full HE discount. Also, unless you need more than 2 in and 2 out or super super hight quality such as a metric halo interface for near enough a grand the internal sound will be enough. I was using that for a while and it was fine but I got a firewire interface for 8 inputs.

I take it you are not a student yourself? If you are not just get your girlfriend to buy it for you and pay her back. I am a 'prospective' student - got conditional offers. I bought my MBP in the real apple store (in Bullring) by logging onto ucas and Logic on the phone and I wasn't asked for proof or anything.

You could always get the model I have for £900 from the refurb store. It is brilliant. I can get about 27 sculptures going at once on the sculpture benchmark without an overload.

By the way, my version of Logic is the full one but I know there is an academic one too which you can't upgrade. I don't know how to get it though. That might be the one for £100...

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

Bow Rekk's summed that up nicely.

Did your girlfriend buy a laptop through the HE Store or through the normal channels?

If you are placing an order over your phone, you do get exactly the same discount but most likely your girlfriend would be asked to prove that she qualifiesfor the discount. BTW as you've done a search, I'm guessing that you know about the three-year warranty.

4. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

If I do it over the phone I'm just trying to figure out how to use my family members credit card.

5. john2006wright macrumors regular

applecare

I've read on MR that applecare is free for 3 years with education discount. Is this true? I cant find this on the apple store website. Just something about uplift charge?
    Would be greatful if someone could clarify this for me

6. Bow Rekk macrumors member

I'm not sure it is applecare. It is some sort of warranty for three years and apparently it is not as comprehensive as applecare. Since it is only £50 or so for the full Applecare I bought that too.

7. mkgm1 macrumors regular

Well buying it really shouldn't be a problem, as long as you can get your gf and the person who's paying for it in the same room/the same Apple store. Just ask your gf to say that she's a student who wants it for herself, but someone else is paying for it. I'm sure there are plenty of students out there who haven't bought their computers with their own credit/debit cards.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would try and get Applecare if you can, you get a better discount, if you are only doing audio an MB would probably be fine, and it's cheaper.

You can get the discount by calling 0800 0391010, and it's 16%, better than the standard student discount, your girlfriend would need to order though ;).