Confused about how to backup Mac before Leopard install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katiecs, Aug 12, 2009.

1. katiecs macrumors newbie

I ran into some problems while installing Leopard. I keep getting the "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. To enable installation on this volume..." So I know I need to partition my disk as a "GUID partition table", but I read that that will erase everything on my drive. I need to do a backup, but I'm a little confused. First of all, I don't have an external drive and was thinking I would subscribe to an online service for a month. I know I probably need to buy a drive, but I just can't afford one right now.

So my questions are... can I use Retrospect or SuperDuper for one of these online services, like IDrive? And if so, how exactly do I set Retrospect/SuperDuper up for that? Then, if I do backup this way, will it be easy for me to restore my apps, docs, pics, and music after I partition my drive? I don't understand what form the data will be in after I get it backed up.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Basically, the only way you'd be able to backup everything and still have your apps would be to have an external, clone the drive w/ SuperDuper/CarbonCopyCloner, erase & install Leopard, and then during system setup after the first boot it will ask if you'd like to transfer information from another mac or another volume on this mac (your external hard disk).

You can use a free online site to store your stuff, but not your applications. They will need reinstalling. I am also unaware of any backup utility (that is free) that goes directly to an online site.

As bad as this sounds (and -disclaimer- I don't use it), Micro$oft gives you like a ton of free online storage w/ the signup of a Live account. I think it's like 25gb or something.

don't overthink it, best of luck.

3. Latro macrumors member

You can also use a service such as MOZY for online backup. This can backup your entire computer before an upgrade.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

You can restore your apps, network settings and user accounts from a time machine backup - just like a clone, as well.

5. chan2004 macrumors regular

I backed up my harddisk before reinstalling leopard.
    But now, i can't find a way to take my itunes music to my harddisk.
    :mad:

so, don't know how far patrick's right

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

The problem with Microsoft's "SkyDrive" is that the upload limit is 50mb per file!!!! So pretty much all you can do is store a bunch of pictures on there and thats it. What's the use of having all the space that they give you without being able to really use it?

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you didn't exclude your itunes library from the time machine backup, and you selected to copy everything over in migration assistant, then everything will be there just as it was before the leopard install. You can also browse your time machine backup and then copy over the itunes music folder to users/you/music and then go into itunes and select file--> add to library, and select your old music folder.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Wait until you can. Whats it going to cost, $50, maybe $100 tops, especially for a s/h one.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-chan2004

touchdownjesus4 is right. If you have Time Machine back everything up, everything is restorable is exactly the same state.

BTW- I just did this on my primary machine after 10.5.8 (the machine was beginning to get a little wonky). The only price is the time it takes.

Your music should still be on your backup drive, just copy the iTunesfolder over to the music folder of your live install, then launch iTunes, it should work fine.

If not, please let us know.