Confused About How to Buy SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping there is someone who is in the same position as me - I currently have an iPhone 6 on AT&T and am grandfathered into an unlimited data plan. I would like to buy the iPhone SE today buy I am not sure how to do this while keeping my unlimited data plan. I saw on Apple's website that I could buy the "AT&T" version of the phone or the SIM free version of the phone. I have 3 questions:

1. If I buy the "AT&T" version will that force me to upgrade my unlimited plan to a new plan?

2. Is the "AT&T" version locked to AT&T even though it is the same price as the unlocked version?

3. If I get the SIM free unlocked version will I be missing out on specific AT&T bands?

Thanks!

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

- Pay full price upfront and tell them you don't want to change your plan at all.
    - Insist on seeing that your plan wasn't changed.
    - Double check that your plan wasn't changed later when you get home.

3. Jay43 macrumors member

The sim-free version is the same as the AT&T version.
    If you buy the sim-free you can just switch your current sim-card to the new one and that shouldn't change anything to your plan

4. phillyred79 macrumors regular

This is the correct answer. ;)

5. drewaz macrumors regular

Does the SE need an updated SIM card? I have a 5S and a 5 that I'm going to replace .... will Apple pay etc. be functional in an SE if I use an older SIM card?

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No worries, all the basic iPhone SE features will work using your existing AT&T Nano-SIM. However, when you insert your existing Nano-SIM into the iPhone SE and it connects to the AT&T network, you may receive a text asking you to upgrade to a new Nano-SIM.

Don't panic, your iPhone will continue to work just fine on the AT&T network, you just will not all the benefits of the network.

Note: Your existing Nano-SIM may already be new enough, that's why the you might not get the "free" SMS txt message about a need to upgrade.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    1. No if you purchase "Pay in Full" from Apple, using your existing number for an AT&T model, you get a new iPhone SE with a pre-installed Nano-SIM that will replace your current iPhone 6 on your current line of service with no other changes to your plan.

2. No, if you purchase "Pay in Full" from Apple, it is unlocked just like the SIM-Free model

3. No, for the iPhone SE it is the exact same model and bands as the iPhone SE for the AT&T / T-Mobile ( only thing missing is a pre-installed Nano-SIM

Note: "Pay in Full" is a termed used on the Apple.com site and means Full price, No Commitment price, No contract price.

Note: LTE Bands for iPhone SE: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se

Dave