confused about how to get the ' F ' keys working in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NStocks, Feb 9, 2010.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

So I've installed windows 7 and need to use the ' F ' keys in order to change brightness etc. after reading some posts I've found that you need to insert the Mac OS X disc whilst in windows... I've done that but it just comes up witht the options for drive sharing or remote install ( for macbook air) ... What do I do ?

Also, by default my Macbook Pro boots windows, how can I change it so that is boots Mac unless I press ' alt ' key to select where it boots from..

Thank You

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The third option, which allows you to install the Boot Camp drivers is deactivated, which probably means you installed a 64 bit version of Windows 7 on an "unsupported" system.

Search for BootCamp64.msi in the forum to find the instructions to install it manually.

Once you have the drivers installed, you can use the f keys and will get a Control Panel tool that will allow you to set the startup disk. (Or you can use the similar tool in OS X System Preferences to set the default).

B

3. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I know for sure that I installed a 32 bit Windows 7...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Then follow the same instructions to locate and install BootCamp32.msi manually. The autorun doesn't seem to be recognizing your system/OS.

B

5. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

And how would I go about setting Mac OS to automatically boot rather than windows?

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Either through the Startup Disk control panel in Windows or the Startup Disk preferences pane in Mac OS. Select the desired default startup volume and click the restart button, you are set unless you launch the startup manager with the option key held down.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yup, sorry I buried that in my previous response.

B