Confused about @icloud.com

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by steffi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

2. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I asked this the other day and someone else asked before me. There doesn't seem to be any clarity on this...

I can make an alias with @icloud.com but that's not what I want. I want to change my @me.com address to @icloud.com. I can't sign in if I change my address to @icloud.com and no mail can be sent to it. It doesn't exist.

Looks like we're stuck with @me unless you want to create a new Apple ID or Mail Alias.

EDIT*

Found an answer! Visit this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

3. Icaras, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Awesome! Good find!

My only question now is, is this interchangeable with your current Apple ID that is @me? So would I be able to continue purchasing content from iTunes using my new @iCloud.com email address and retain all my purchases?

I hope it doesn't think I want to make a new Apple ID. If it does, I'll just stick with @me.

Edit: This was at the bottom of the article:

I'm hoping that means yes....

Also, I think this answer should help clear up a lot of the confusion about being able to use both @me and @icloud at the same time:

4. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

It is rather confusing but the idea I'm getting is that your @icloud/@me address are the exact same thing. If someone sends mail to your @icloud then it'll appear in @me.

I wish Apple would let us choose what one we want to keep and delete the other. I'd keep @icloud and delete @me.

5. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still lost here.

I've got two icloud acounts. One is my appleid and the other is a carry over from @me.com. I'm not sure why I have two and I'd rather have only one.

Neither can be used as iCloud on any IOS device because they don't have an @icloud.com email address. By "iCloud" I mean "Mail" enabled in iCloud on the IOS device.

How can things be so messed up like this?

I'm not going to create a new @icloud.com email address if my old one @me equiv is available for my use. That is I want firstname.lastname@me.com as my iCloud email address and it's not currently available to me.

The Apple document suggest that these will soon be available?

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yea, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think it will be clearer once they roll out iCloud email addresses for existing @me users.