Confused about iCloud - New email Address

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lugesm, May 7, 2012.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Been on iCloud for some time now, and kept wondering what this iCloud entry in Mail was. Discovered that I have another email address with iCloud.

As dumb as this sounds, I had ignored that until today.

Questions:
    Why a new (additional) email address ? :confused:

Does everyone (anyone?) switch over to this address for email? Any issues in dropping Gmail and switching to the iCloud email address ?

Thanks for your comments.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's just Apple's way of setting up the account. When you get iCloud it is the full range of iCloud services including e-mail.

You can switch over from GMail, use both or just keep using GMail and remove the iCloud entry from Mail. Personally I would keep both. It's useful to have multiple e-mail addresses. Aside from business address I have a personal and junk mail address. Only friends and family get my personal address.

My junk address is used for any website that wants me to register to view, shop, post and so forth. Also for anything else wanting my e-mail address. That way I know everything in there is junk. The only time I look at it is when I register for a website and need to look at the most recent e-mail to activate my account.

3. samh macrumors 6502

You don't have to set up an iCloud @me.com address. I have iCloud but no iCloud e-mail because I haven't figured out the username I want yet. I can sign into iCloud with my non-Apple email just fine, I just don't have access to e-mail via iCloud (obviously).