Confused about iDVD chapters???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by angelpeach838, Feb 23, 2008.

1. angelpeach838 macrumors newbie

Hi, Im a lurker in this forum, and I love it :) I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the Digital Video forum or not (so I'm posting it in both!), but I need some help. I recently got married, and I'm trying to create a decent DVD to send to my family. There were two solos during my ceremony, and I want to create chapters for 1) our ceremony, 2) the first solo, 3) the second solo. I've created the submenu (using the Forever theme I think), and I have added submenus to that, adding our full length wedding video as the film. I have also forwarded to the part where I assumed the chapter would start, HOWEVER, when I click the chapter it starts from the beginning of the ceremony. Is there a way to start the chapter in the middle of the video? I sure hope so, because my mother-in-law is only interested in showing people the part where her son does his solo! :) Thanks in advance,

Stace

2. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

angelpeach838, are you dealing with three different videos here or one video that has been chaptered off?

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Please do not post duplicate threads on MacRumors, thanks.

4. trev macrumors 6502

I'm assuming your using iMovie to make the videos?

5. angelpeach838 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the double post :eek:

I used iMovie to edit and cut the clips and so forth and so on. Im using iDVD to make the chapter menus etc. Im dealing with one video. I did not set the movie to be chaptered off from the beginning, so what I want to do is create a 'chapters' menu (which I have done). When the person clicks on 'the vows' chapter, I want it to start at the vows (it starts from the beginning). Im just wondering how to start the movie in the middle. Thanks :)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Open iMovie

Select Help

Read the basic tutorial and watch the video tutorials.

7. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

Go back into iMovie 6 (since I don't think iMovie 08 chapters)

Click on Chapters and click on "add marker" wherever you want chapters.

SAVE

Export/Share to iDVD.

8. angelpeach838 thread starter macrumors newbie

From what Ive read online, iMovie 08 does not have the chapter feature (weird they got rid of it :confused:). Even weirder is that iDVD has chapter menus available for use, but does not have the capability to have a chapter clip start in the middle of the movie, hence a chapter. I must be missing something? :(

And I dont have iMovie 06 :(

9. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

As long as you have iLife 08 installed and working you can go to this Apple support page and download iMovie 06 for free but it's 154 MB so it might take some time.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

The workaround for adding chapters in iMovie '08 (I wish you guys would stop telling people to go back to iMovie '06. '08 is the future, they will build on it to add the features missing from '06) is to use Garageband.

If you do a search for iMovie '08 chapters garageband you'll find the workaround.

This is a good site for iMovie '08 people.
    http://imovie08.blogspot.com/

It is 'unlocking iMovie '08' Some helpful stuff in there on how to do stuff from '06 in '08.

11. angelpeach838 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for all the help. I think downloading iMovie 06 might be my last resort. Im going to first try Metadata Hootenanny, which has had some good reviews (from what Ive been able to find). I'll keep you posted!

I actually read that blog about using the GarageBand fix, and still might try that also. However, some people reported quality loss when moving it from iMovie to GB, but thats also another option if the Metadata doesnt work. Thanks again