Confused about image stabilization being added to portrait mode in iOS 11

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by vtboyarc, Jun 6, 2017.

1. vtboyarc macrumors regular

vtboyarc

In multiple articles, including MacRumors, they say that optical image stabilization is now available in portrait mode in iOS 11 (along with HDR and flash) - but the telephoto lens does not have OIS, so how is that possible? Do they mean digital image stabilization?
    Also, has anyone tried portrait mode on the beta yet and noticed improvements?
    Thank!

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

The image stabilisation can be done in three ways,optical ( moving lenses in optics) mechanical ( moving sensor,like the Sony alpha cameras) or digital (firmware based in camera),I'm not sure which they use,but I guess it's most likely firmware based in the phone,as optical stabilisers need larger optics with more lenses added,and mechanical stability would cause a more bulky phone.

3. kendo88 macrumors regular

isn't portrait using both lenses? it only uses the telephoto lens for depth information and the other lens to take the photo? hence IOS would be available? I may be wrong

4. vtboyarc thread starter macrumors regular

vtboyarc

The larger lens is for the background. The telephoto lens is the main camera used for the object in focus for portrait mode (which is why you'll notice when switching to portrait mode, the camera viewfinder zooms up). And looking at the specs, it def does not have OIS on that lens