Confused about incompressible data

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oojosheoo, Apr 1, 2011.

1. oojosheoo macrumors member

So I just ordered the OWC MEP 115GB. Being my first SSD I am excited to see the speed. With all the research I've been doing I am reading that the OWC, or better yet maybe the SF drives have poor incompressible data write speeds.

I use my MBP mostly for my photography, Lots of RAW images, Lightroom, and PS. I am planning on moving all my RAW images from the CF to my 500GB 7200 HDD with the OPTIBAY.

Now with that kind of use would I still be impacted by the slow write speeds?

Also how is the Intel-x25m G2 or G3 when it comes to incompressible data write speed?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See my comment here in another thread on this issue.

If you are only moving the RAW images to and from your HDD (platter drive), the SSD is not going to matter though.

3. oojosheoo thread starter macrumors member

AHH IC~

Yeh basically my workflow goes like this.

CF CARD w/ RAW Images>500GB 7200 HDD

Then from lightroom 3 I create a catalog and point the images to my 500GB HDD. And start editing...

I guess i just have to wait and see. Thanks!

4. TomBrooklyn macrumors newbie

SSD Considerations With Photos or Incompressible Data

Weaselboy, the comment you made in that other thread indicates a problem with incompressible data. So why do you say here there that moving RAW images wouldn't matter? Are RAW images compressible? How about when working with RAW image files in various image editing software? Or working with jpg files?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

RAW images are very compressible. My point in responding to the OP here was that he was moving images to/from a HDD, so the SSD would not be the limiting factor.