Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Sorry for newbie question but if I have my music library on my imac and want to play it on my ipad,does the sync mean I dont actually have to move that music over to the ipad,taking up space but I can just play through the ipad?

Legion93

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Death Star, Rishi Maze
Sorry for newbie question but if I have my music library on my imac and want to play it on my ipad,does the sync mean I dont actually have to move that music over to the ipad,taking up space but I can just play through the ipad?

I'm a bit confused at your question. When you sync your iPad with your computer, all the songs will be transferred onto there automatically. This is obviously if you apply those settings. You can only sync back songs that were purchased through iTunes, or download a third-party app that allows you to do so.

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
Does the iPad sync both ways? For example, if I buy the camera connection kit and load pictures onto my iPad, when I connect it to my Macbook will sync go both ways, so the photos are added to my Macbook/not deleted from iPad?

(I'm buying one tomorrow.... soooooo pumped)

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
So if I have copied a number of full cds onto my imac through itunes I cant use sync method to place them on an ipad?I can only put tunes i bought from itunes onto ipad?

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
If they are in your itunes library, then yes you can easily sync them to the ipad.

Syncing is merely the process of connecting to the Mac and copying everything over from your Mac to the Ipad that you have chosen to sync. Some things may go the other way as well, but its not a complicated process.

From your first post, I think you may be confusing syncing with homesharing. With homesharing, your ipad can access your media in your itunes library via your wireless network. I.e. streaming it directly, rather than having to have a copy on your ipad.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Thanks,yes I was confused.I was trying to figure out what size ipad to buy and needed one large enough for my itunes library.homesharing is the option I was looking for.So if I have wifi connection my ipad will play whatever is in my itunes imac library without having to actually put it on my ipad and use up space?Hope Im right here.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
As long as your mac and ipad are on the same network and homesharing is enabled, then yes you will get access to everything on your itunes library on the mac without needing to copy (sync) it to your ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.