Confused about iPhone rates, hacks.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CharlieKirk, Sep 30, 2008.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Here is my dilemma.

I'd like if possible not to pay for the AT&T 2 year contract, and just get a like t mobile sim card. I'm confused -- if I buy the contract, do I like... cancel it? But isn't there some huge cancellation charge? And then do I have to give the phone back?

How would I do this. I'd also like to keep iphone -> itunes compatibility, etc. Still use the app store and the like.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you purchase an EDGE iPhone, you'd be getting it on the used market, and the AT&T issue would be a non-issue. You'd have to unlock it using software (Pwnage), which is easy and takes less than a half hour.

If you purchase a 3G iPhone, the options are more complicated...

- You can get an AT&T phone, but they require you to return the phone if you cancel within thirty days... this is probably not a realistic option, as it's going to cost you significantly in terms of fees you pay AT&T

- You can get a used one, in which case the above does not apply

For either of those two options, you would need to purchase a hardware device like the TurboSIM to make it work off the AT&T network. The 3G functions will not be compatible with the nascent T-Mobile USA 3G network.

- You can get an already unlocked one, e.g. from Hong Kong. Expensive, the limitation with respect to 3G will still apply.

3. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ooh. Chicago. Me too. =]

Hmm. OK. Hmm. That seems cool. I'll do the online thing and then go in store, do you know how long, if I do the first part online, it'll take in store?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm totally lost now. :eek:

Are you saying you wish to buy an iPhone 3G online, activate it with AT&T in store, buy a TurboSIM to unlock it, and then cancel with AT&T? That's a one month process, and the total outlay is going to be about $500....

5. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, nevermind, yesterday I huffed it to the Apple store :)

Thanks though!

6. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Kind o fin a similar situation as the OP. Where I am currently living the 3g service from ATT is not available. I am on verizon but would want to have the iphone. I don't care about the 3g, but would like to have all the other features. so apart from the 3g on the new iphone is there a significant difference between the old iphone and the 3g iphone.

So where can I buy the old iphone from? can I unlock it and use it anywhere in the world. can I use it with prepaid sim cards or do I still have to have a contract. Lastly how do you unlock/hack/jailbreak?

Would appreciate your input.

7. Stepper macrumors regular

You can buy the old iPhones off ebay
    Yes you can unlock it and use it anywhere in the world
    Yes you can use prepaid sim cards (after you've unlocked it of course)
    No you don't have to have a contract
    Google is your friend, search for "quickpwn"

8. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

thanks for the info. I was also wondering if there is 3g unlocked iphone available that one can buy from some other country and us eit in the U.S(legally unlocked iphone). I fthis can be done, which is better iphone 2g and unlock it or legal unlocked 3g iphone. Also which will be cheaper?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, there are a very small number of them that come from some EU countries, and then there are some that come from HK. I believe the going price is around $600-700, by the time they get to the US, but I'm not sure. They are not very widely available. This compares to about $300-400 for the 8GB iPhone w/ EDGE.

Better = legally unlocked 3G iPhone -- if you use AT&T you can use 3G data services; even if you don't use AT&T, you get longer battery life. Also it's much more readily available in 16GB.

Cheaper = iPhone with EDGE.

10. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

Thanks mkrishnan,

I would use this as a second phone, and use it just by refilling the sim card when I want to use it. Like how I used to do in India , where there is greter flexibilty to customers than here in the U.S. I know I won't be using the data plan for sure. So, I am actually trying to find a way to get the iphone unlocked so I not bound by any contract for 2 years. But buying the 3g phone seems more reasonable as its a newer phone and improved over the previous 2g iphone.

One last think, if I do plan to get the att 2 year contrcat and get the 3g iphone, will I be able to unlock that phone after the 2 year contractis over and use it as prepaid on any network.