Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imanbrar06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
hi everyone here, I have read many threads about macboook air to find my way out but cant make a decision.So, i am asking the question myself. I am planning to buy a macbook air at my university discount which is exclusively only available in the university campus and not in online apple store. Apple store does give education discount though but not as much as my university gives me. Unfortunately, my university only have 4gb ram models available. I study business. So my requirements would be "msoffice, web surfing, itunes, iphoto, skype, dropbox, light photoshop(editing pictures of family), watching HD movies and such basic apps and NO VM. I plan to keep my air for 3-4 years. I guess that these apps would be perfect for a 4gb model but i am worried about the future like new OS and new future apps' requirements may create problems. :confused: . IF yes, then i would have buy 8gb from the apple store which i think is expensive but although affordable. SO if 4gb may meet my needs for coming years, then i would not need to waste extra bucks for the 8gb and will buy from the university. And yes, my requirements won't probably change in the future. So, please help me to make a decision.

Also, i am thinking to buy a 128 gb storage version cause i have an external drive. Would i be able to survive with strategy? I live in hk. so does not have access to those BESTBUY deals ( read at many places about these new discounts in the online shopping sites). Is the screen of the macbook air is good enough for HD content.

looking for some guidance. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
For your requirements 4gb should be fine for at least another 5 years.

Noone knows how much internal storage you need except you.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
4GB should be ok for your stated usage (office, surfing, iPhoto light video editing) though I think in the long run 8GB maybe a better option since you're looking to keep it 5 years.

As for the storage, I definitely think 128GB is too small, especially at keeping it for 5 years and having an external drive to go along with it. Get the 256GB model.

Also check out store.apple.com, they off education discounts and more configurations then your school seems to be offering.

SherlockLogic

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
Unfortunately, my university only have 4gb ram models available. I study business. So my requirements would be "msoffice, web surfing, itunes, iphoto, skype, dropbox, light photoshop(editing pictures of family), watching HD movies and such basic apps and NO VM. I plan to keep my air for 3-4 years. I guess that these apps would be perfect for a 4gb model but i am worried about the future like new OS and new future apps' requirements may create problems.

Apple has yet to require anything more than 2GB of RAM for any version of OS X, so you'll be fine for 3-4 years on the OS front, IMO.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
4GB of ram is more than enough for you for a long time.
128 vs 256 is completely dependent on you. If you have the extra money, go for the 256 since you will be accumulating data over the years.
If funds are tight, get 128 and use external if necessary.

The display is fine for HD content. It's not 1080p. But video still looks good to me. Viewing angles and pixel density is more of a concern than video but that's really only when comparing to a retina display. If you aren't used to a retina, the Air display will be fine for you.

imanbrar06

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2014
Thanks all. I guess 256 is better. But my budget is the biggest hindrance. :'( :'( :'(. The So its difficult for me to get a 256gb model. I have been suggested by someone to look for a refurbished AIR. There is a JUNE 2013 model available whose specs are 1.3ghz/4gb/256gb. It will be in my price range but I am scared about the quality of that macbook and its longevity or I will have to go for the 128 gb new model, which may suck ( according to the replies). Any reviews or personal experience on Apple refurbished macbooks?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Start taking advantage of more cloud based services for your files, apps and media. You'll be surprised at how much space you'll have available when you keep your storage off the internal drive. Even an external hdd is a good alternative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.