Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geenome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Removed because of prejudice.
Reading apple.com's mac section for the mac pro, it says the new base level model is 4 core and starts at £1999, in the UK, the apple store still has them up for £1940 the model hasn't changed for a while.

This presumably means a newer quad core model in August? Or will it just be a graphics card update to the current model?

Any ideas?

geenome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Removed because of prejudice.
Thanks, I realise they are still the old models in the store. What i want to know is, what will be the difference between the old Nehalem models and the the new ones.

I was hoping the base level mac would become 6 core but looks like thats gonna be a new mid range and more expensive model.

This means the cheapest mac pro will only have a graphics card update and nothing else?

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Thanks, I realise they are still the old models in the store. What i want to know is, what will be the difference between the old Nehalem models and the the new ones.

I was hoping the base level mac would become 6 core but looks like thats gonna be a new mid range and more expensive model.

This means the cheapest mac pro will only have a graphics card update and nothing else?

It also has a small CPU bump, a larger standard HDD, and AirPort is standard. Other than that, it's basically the same box.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Wow I was hoping for a bit more for nearly £2000, looks like the extra for the 6 core could be a good investment.
Even though I'm expecting it to be an additional $200USD over the base Octad ($3699 expected for the Hex core v. $3499 for the Octad), I do expect the SP Hex core model to be a decent value.

Even for SMP work, the faster clock and RAM (assuming the SMP software is also memory intensive), would fare well, and be a better solution for single threaded applications at the same time (whether Turbo Boost is active or not, as that depends on the usage - i.e. other cores doing other tasks simultaneously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.