Confused about new iPhone 3G marketing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LifeHacker, Mar 22, 2009.

1. LifeHacker macrumors newbie

LifeHacker

Hi, everybody. This is my first post on this website so I hope you can help me. I was wondering whether when the new iPhone OS (3.0) comes out, will there also be a newer version of the phone to purchase?

If so, does anybody know whether the phones carriers (AT&T or O2 (in the UK)) will be releasing it for a subsidised price for existing iPhone 3G customer, like they did when the 3G came out?

Thank you all in advanced!

:confused:

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

I'll save you the time and trouble.

Only thing announced is iPhone 3.0 Operation System and nothing more. Everything else is speculative and yet to be determined/announced.

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

There will be a new iPhone along with the 3.0 software in June/July, but I'm not sure about prices. Sorry.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

There is speculation, but no announcement, that a new iPhone will be released alongside the iPhone 3.0 release.

If it is released, iPhone 3G users will not be given any special subsidy to upgrade, as they already received one when they got the 3G.

5. LifeHacker thread starter macrumors newbie

LifeHacker

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. Much appreciated

6. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

When iPhone 3.0 Software does come out, its also the time when the iPhone 3G will be around 1 year old. Apple usually likes to update it's products around a year after their launch, so in theory, yes, a new iPhone version should be coming out.

If you have read some of the rumors on AppleInsider or MacRumors, the new 3.0 software also makes references to iPhone 3.1 (Note: iPhone 3G is named as iPhone 1.2).

As for price, I wouldn't think Apple would increase the £99 8GB/£159 16GB price tag.

7. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Actually the iPhone 3G is "iPhone 1,2"

8. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Oops! Ah well, thanks for correcting me on that one!