Confused about running Bootcamp and Fusion? I thought they synchronized?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wirelessness, Aug 30, 2010.

1. wirelessness macrumors 6502

I recently installed Win 7 64 Ultimate using Bootcamp on my 2010 iMac 27. That was not a problem. I then proceeded to install Fusion 3.1 and import my Bootcamp install of Win 7. All that went fine. I've been using the VM version for work related stuff that requires Windows and have not booted directly to Windows since the first time I installed it and applied all the updates.

Anyway, today I wanted to boot to Windows to demo a game. No big deal the Windows install seems to be working just fine. But, I was expecting to see all the applications and files installed there just the way I did in the VM. I thought they were basically the same install and would be fully synchronized but they are not.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is supposed to work?

Is it possible to make the two 'versions' be the same whether in the VM or booted directly?

Does Parallels work the same way?

Thanks!!!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you import it then it's a different machine. Why don't you contact VMWare for help?

3. wirelessness thread starter macrumors 6502

I might have to do that. I usually get pretty good help here.

It seems counterintuitive...if you import the Windows install from Bootcamp into the VM it should be the same.....

4. wirelessness thread starter macrumors 6502

I got this answer from VMware forum:

Because you "Imported" it you are seeing the expected behavior because an import is totally separate and apart and not linked to the original.

On the other hand had you just clicked the Start Up button on the Boot Camp entry on the Virtual Machine Library then you'd be using the native install as a Virtual Machine. However a word of caution is in order in that WPA (Windows Product Activation) can be problematic and Microsoft may require you to have two separate licenses and this is beyond VMware's control when VMware Tools fails to control that after it been activated in each environment.

I thought importing was the way to go. Now I have to go back and do it over because I want my installs to be the same whether in the VM or booted directly to Windows.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member