Confused about Target Disk Mode

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NutsNGum, Jul 2, 2011.

1. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

As an example,

If I have a Thunderbolt-capable MBP (or potentially Air) which I hook up to a Thunderbolt-capable iMac, am I using that MacBook Pro essentially as a hard drive with the iMac's CPU doing the work?

Is it a feasible way to take advantage of the SSD in either of those two portable options?

For the record, I'm aware that I could use target display, although I'm more interested in taking advantage of the processing capacity of the iMac.

Thanks, Nuts.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

The machine you boot up holding down the T key turns into an external hard drive. That's all there is to it. Treat it like an external hard drive.

3. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

4. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I did some Thunderbolt Target Disk testing this weekend between two 2011 MacBook Pros with Apple (Toshiba) 3Gb/s SSDs (each capable of 200MB/s). Using both Finder Copy of a 1.2G file and QuickBench Extended test, the transfer rate averaged 62MB/s at best.

Doing some digging, I learned that Target mode is very different from connecting to an external Thunderbolt drive. Target mode uses EFI. External Tbolt storage uses OS X. OS X can do multi-threaded, multi-block DMA transfers. EFI can’t.

5. NutsNGum thread starter macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Thanks for clarifying that, Barefeats, I've just bought a (new, but obviously not new) 160GB X25-m G2 at a really good price on eBay, so it will probably end up going in an t-bolt enclosure/GoFlex T-bolt connector when they're eventually released.