Confused about TC backups and Sharing Files

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MBHockey, May 25, 2008.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I'm trying to share my Time Capsule drive via AFP over the internet to other people, and i'm wondering if I can restrict access to certain folders. It seems that users with the password to the disk will have read access to my backup disk image since there's no way to restrict access -- is this right?

And also, if you have a TC can you still use the regular File Sharing from within Leopard itself (where you can restrict access to specific folders)?

It doesn't look like there's a choice between mounting the TC disk or mounting the shared folder on the internal drive when connecting via AFP -- like TC overrides the possibility of sharing files off your internal disk. Is this correct?

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Yes I'm wondering the same thing. I want to share the TC with other machines in my house, or with guests who happen to bring their laptops over, but I also want to restrict access to certain files and folders. Anyone know how this can be done? :confused:

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

There is an option to make accounts on the Time Capsule shared disk so that you can have different types of access (Airport Utility --> Manual Setup --> Disks --> File Sharing --> secured shared disks with Accounts).

4. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh nice, that would seem to do it...However, is there any way to use the original TC folder as a shared folder? Because i notice that after I enabled "Shared disks with accounts", all my files in the original TC folder were hidden and inaccessible.

Ideally, I was thinking of having an account folder for my own private data, and then the original TC folder as a shared folder for all local machines. Anyway to do that?

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Although the files become inaccessible, all the data is still
    there. The only way I found around this was to change back to the previous disk security setting and copy all the data I want to keep on the TC to an external drive, then delete all the data on the TC, then set up the accounts for disk security, and finally put all the data back on the TC.

It was annoying and time consuming, but it worked.

You can move your backup image to a new location on the TC disk and it will still work. Just make sure to tell time machine in system preferences what the new location is.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That does sound like a bit of work....But there is no way to have both an account folder and a public folder, is there? :mad: