Confused about the Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Epikuros, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Epikuros macrumors member

So after battling my Netgear router for three full days that I couldn't afford to spend I discovered that my Airport express could double as a wireless router and I threw the Netgear away.

I'll try to be as brief as possible:

The ISP gave me five pieces of information: Ip-address, 'Netmask', 'Standard-gateway', and primary and secondary DNS.

I reset the airport, launched the AirPort utility and put the Ip adress where it says IPv4 address, "netmask" where it says subnetmask, etc.

Where it said "router address" I typed in the 'Standard gateway' numbers that I got from my ISP because I don't know what else to type there.

To my surprise it seems to actually be working for now. Though I really don't want to worry about for another week so I'm asking:
    What (if anything) am I supposed to type there under "Router Address". And what does "Standard Gateway" mean?

I would be grateful for answers.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Normally, it will fill fields for you.

3. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Gateway and router are the same thing in most networks. So no need to worry, you configured it correctly.

4. Epikuros thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, it's all working now.

The problem was apparently that my ISP gave my IP to another guy in my building. Whenever he logged in it would cut out for me. So we've been going back and forth all this time.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad to hear it is working well now...