Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Is the weight 1 pounds or 1.034 pounds?

The page reads:
Weight: 1 pound (469 g)

1 pound ~ 453.59
469g ~ 1.034 pounds

So which is it?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
My guess, 469 grams is the more accurate figure, and when they converted to pounds, they rounded it off to 1 pound. After all, as another poster pointed out, 0.034 pounds seem hardly significant.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
It should be 1.034 I think. If you look at the other iPads, there's always 0.02-0.03lb difference between WiFi and WiFi+Cellular version.

Apple just wants to make the figure nice by rounding it at 1.0lb.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Is the 0.034 pound extra a deal breaker?

Not a dealbreaker, but there is too big a difference to round off.

My guess, 469 grams is the more accurate figure, and when they converted to pounds, they rounded it off to 1 pound. After all, as another poster pointed out, 0.034 pounds seem hardly significant.

I would say removing 3.2% weight while rounding is significant. What is the reason they write the cellular as 1.05 lbs and not round it off to 1 lbs too or write both as 1.05? The difference between 1.034 and 1.05 is smaller than that between 1.034 and 1.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I would say removing 3.2% weight while rounding is significant.

So you think they should market the iPad Air as weighing 1.01 Pound?

It's not even 0.1 more, not even close to half of that.

It's not even close half of 0.01!

Apple are well within their right to say the iPad Air weighs 1 Pound.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I would say removing 3.2% weight while rounding is significant. What is the reason they write the cellular as 1.05 lbs and not round it off to 1 lbs too or write both as 1.05? The difference between 1.034 and 1.05 is smaller than that between 1.034 and 1.
No, no its not.

In third grade maths we our taught rounding.
4 and lower round down, 5 and higher round up.

1.03 has a 3, which is smaller than a 4, so its entirely expected to round down to 1.0.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
So you think they should market the iPad Air as weighing 1.01 Pound?

It's not even 0.1 more, not even close to half of that.

It's not even close half of 0.01!

Apple are well within their right to say the iPad Air weighs 1 Pound.

No, they should market it to weigh 1.034 or at least 1.03 pounds, which is what the weight is. Or 1.05 if they want to round their iPads to the closest multiple of 0.05 lbs as they have done with the cellular.

No, no its not.

In third grade maths we our taught rounding.
4 and lower round down, 5 and higher round up.

1.03 has a 3, which is smaller than a 4, so its entirely expected to round down to 1.0.

It all depends on which scale of rounding we are aiming for. If we are rounding to the closest full pound the cellular should be rounded to 1 lbs too. What Apple seems to have done if we also look at the cellular version is that they are rounding to the closest multiple of 0.05 lbs, which means that both the WiFi and cellular should be rounded to 1.05. If you are going to be a smart ass about it you should get your third grade rounding correct.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
Thank god you don't work in Apple's marketing department :)

What is wrong with using the same standard of rounding on all their versions to get as accurate measurements as possible? As a consumer I don't care if it looks bad from a marketing position, when I buy a product I want to know the actual weight, not some made up weight that looks better from a marketing standpoint.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Well, they seem to be rounding at two digits beyond the decimal point, so in that sense you are right that they should have rounded to 1.03. But I guess it was so close to 1 pound, they just decided to call it a pound. Personally I don't mind, and I wouldn't mind if the cellular model was also marketed as being a pound, but I guess they have to show the weight of the cellular radio somehow.

I mean, how is .03 or even .05 of a pound going to affect how we use an iPad?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Confused about the iPad Air weight...

No, they should market it to weigh 1.034 or at least 1.03 pounds, which is what the weight is. Or 1.05 if they want to round their iPads to the closest multiple of 0.05 lbs as they have done with the cellular.

It all depends on which scale of rounding we are aiming for. If we are rounding to the closest full pound the cellular should be rounded to 1 lbs too. What Apple seems to have done if we also look at the cellular version is that they are rounding to the closest multiple of 0.05 lbs, which means that both the WiFi and cellular should be rounded to 1.05. If you are going to be a smart ass about it you should get your third grade rounding correct.
You are still confused. Lets try again.

For the wifi model they are rounding to the nearest tenths, thats the digit right after the decimal. The number lower than that is a 3, so they round down to zero.", and present 1.0 lb.

For the cellular version, they are rounding 1.053 lb to the nearest hundredths. Again we have a 3 behind it, giving 1.05 lb.

I have another tidbit that might hurt your mind, be warned yiu may want to skip the next part.

For BOTH variants, they rounded to the nearest ones place for measurement in grams. Giving us 469 and 478 g that were rounded up or down from something!

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong
What is wrong with using the same standard of rounding on all their versions to get as accurate measurements as possible? As a consumer I don't care if it looks bad from a marketing position, when I buy a product I want to know the actual weight, not some made up weight that looks better from a marketing standpoint.

The average consumer would not care in the slightest bit if a product weighs 0.034 lbs more or less than it actually does. You know absolutely nothing about advertising and marketing.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
You are still confused. Lets try again.

For the wifi model they are rounding to the nearest tenths, thats the digit right after the decimal. The number lower than that is a 3, so they round down to zero.", and present 1.0 lb.

For the cellular version, they are rounding 1.053 lb to the nearest hundredths. Again we have a 3 behind it, giving 1.05 lb.

I have another tidbit that might hurt your mind, be warned yiu may want to skip the next part.

For BOTH variants, they rounded to the nearest ones place for measurement in grams. Giving us 469 and 478 g that were rounded up or down from something!

As I already typed. Rounding like that and choosing different bases for your rounding when comparing 2 products is sketchy at best and not best practice. This means from a mathematical standpoint that the comparison between the WiFi and cellular version become quite meaningless since you have no idea what rounding have been used by just looking at the weights in lbs.

In the case of the grams they most likely used the same standard for both, that is they rounded them both off to the closest integer. Which is standard practice.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
When it's an issue of weight of devices, the lower the better. I disagree with any rounding down in cases of weight when a lower weight is more desirable. Sound like false advertising to me, and an ill-considered mis-representation by Apple.

They should have gone with 'Slightly over a pound'.

Don't say I'm been overly-critical. As someone before pointed out, it's a 3.2% difference in weight, which is rather significant in my opinion.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
As I already typed. Rounding like that and choosing different bases for your rounding when comparing 2 products is sketchy at best and not best practice. This means from a mathematical standpoint that the comparison between the WiFi and cellular version become quite meaningless since you have no idea what rounding have been used by just looking at the weights in lbs.

In the case of the grams they most likely used the same standard for both, that is they rounded them both off to the closest integer. Which is standard practice.
Not meaningless. It shows that the cellular weighs more by an amount so insignificant that I'd need a scale to tell the difference.

If you're trying to calculate the fuel needed to get a Saturn rocket to break orbit and into space and adding up all the hundredths and thousandths of pounds from every part. It might make a difference.

But if that were you, you'd weigh it yourself and not trust a consumer marketing spec.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

You found the more accurate weight on the Apple website.

For those who care about the EXACT weight, the information is there for them, on the Apple website.

For the rest who don't really care, 1 Pound is definitely close enough :)

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
oh dear god, there isn't enough faces to palm with regards to the pointlessness of this thread.

chemicalx

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
=)) This is the first time I see someone really seriously care about the weight.
Why don't you just wait to try it in the store. When you find it comfortable in your hand then all the weight/thinness are meaningless.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
You found the more accurate weight on the Apple website.

For those who care about the EXACT weight, the information is there for them, on the Apple website.

For the rest who don't really care, 1 Pound is definitely close enough :)

For me who live in Europe anyhow I don't see the weight in pounds in my store anyhow. I just got surprised when I saw the weight in my countries Apple Store since it differed from the 1 pound that was shown during the presentation yesterday.

=)) This is the first time I see someone really seriously care about the weight.
Why don't you just wait to try it in the store. When you find it comfortable in your hand then all the weight/thinness are meaningless.

Maybe I am just showing the actuary in me but I think it's annoying when marketing people use math in a questionable way to enhance some positive aspects of their product. And yes, my wife who work in marketing in the tech field sometimes gets mad at me too for being too exact :p.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
What a stupid thread.

It's the best that the shills could come up with.

There's SO MUCH wrong with this tablet, like… .03lb weight deception and… it doesn't come with a keyboard… oh, and it is called "AIR"… like, what a scam!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.