Confused about the new unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bootsie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

Ok so I have been waiting to unlock a friends iPhone for him, it is software 4.1 with baseband 05.14.02.

So this new unlock where you use the iPad baseband...

Is it safe?

Is it going to mess up any future unlocking?

How far away is better more normal unlocking option, where I don't have to mess with changing the baseband?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I haven't been paying attention to unlocking for a long time because I switched to AT&T, but my friend asked me to do it for him.

Basically I just want some advice on if I should go through all this ipad baseband stuff, or wait for a better more simple option.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

2. prasoc macrumors newbie

For me it was. I have 3GS 4.1 baseband 5.14.02.

It doesn't need to be re-unlocked later so there is no future unlocking.

No idea, but MuscleNerd said that it isn't a priority right now.

3. Bootsie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

So it won't need to be reunlocked when the software is updated?

4. prasoc macrumors newbie

You cant. The update will fail. If you want to update you would need to make a custom update

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Safe? Not really. If the iPhone is still under warranty and you use the new method you can kiss the warranty goodbye. Reason being because you'll then have the iPad baseband. But if you really need the unlock and it's your decision on whether you want to do it or not.

Yes. The new unlock will prohibit you from upgrading in the future. If you do upgrade, you'll ultimately be screwed - iPhone Suicide. So once (if) you use the new unlock method updating the iPhone will not be an option.

Probably not that far off. GeoHot is probably figuring out a around this new method by the Dev-Team.

Again, if your friend really needs the unlock, then do it. Then advise not to update is iPhone ever. If the iPhone needs to be restored, you'll have to use a custom ipsw or you'll get an error message in iTunes.

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You may also check this thread out since it posted the same question.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1056378

Tell me what does "being safe" means to you and I'll tell you.

It won't break your phone, or damage it and cripple it. however it will break your ability to upgrade using defaults firmwares, it will also void any warranty.

Not really mess up future unlocking since you won't need to unlock it again, all it does as i said before it will keep you from updating using stock firmware, you will always have to update using "custom" build firmware and that also mean waiting of around for the tools tobe available (which is also true with pretty muh any unlock)

Who knows, tomorrow we can have some new hackers find a way, we may not see any other way ever. There is not way to know, many people are looking and working on it.