Confused about what to select

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Im selling my MBA tomorrow. I rebooted in recovery mode and I'm stuck. Im not sure which disk I'm supposed to delete. I'm following the directions from the apple page but it just keeps saying "startup disc"
On my computer I see the following

Attachments

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
My guess is the top-one. The other one doesn't look lige a built-in drive. Try check the sizes.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Go to the first Macintosh HD, erase it on the erase tab, then close Disk Utility. Go to install/reinstall OS X and internet recovery should download a fresh copy of Yosemite and install it for you. You can then boot it up and configure it if you want. Or hit Command + Q at the setup screen to keep it like new for the next owner. Should be pretty simple.

If you get lost: How to reinstall OS X

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Go to the first Macintosh HD, erase it on the erase tab, then close Disk Utility. Go to install/reinstall OS X and internet recovery should download a fresh copy of Yosemite and install it for you. You can then boot it up and configure it if you want. Or hit Command + Q at the setup screen to keep it like new for the next owner. Should be pretty simple.

If you get lost: How to reinstall OS X
It only gives me the option to erase the second Mac Hd

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
That should work too. It's just the partition that holds all your stuff. Usually you can erase the first, but perhaps not with the recovery partition since they are on the same disk. I've yet to use internet recovery since I always end up using a flash drive so I don't have to download the whole OS every week.

caramellhoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
That should work too. It's just the partition that holds all your stuff. Usually you can erase the first, but perhaps not with the recovery partition since they are on the same disk. I've yet to use internet recovery since I always end up using a flash drive so I don't have to download the whole OS every week.
It worked. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.